co2 tank help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impalor419

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and looking for some info on kegging. First I am setting up a mini fridge for a kegerator. I was given a 20lb co2 tank which will have to be outside the fridge. I am planing on going through the top. How should I go about this. I really dont want to just push the hose through the hole and caulk it. Is there any type of shanks or anything to use?

You could use some iron pipe or copper tubing and then add fittings with barbs to it. Or you could probably find a short piece with barbs on both ends. Either would work. Hardware store should have what you could use.

Also, make sure to check the certification date on your tank before going through the effort. The tanks need to be certified every 5 years, I believe.

What you need is called a bulkhead fitting. You can get them with barbs, MFLs, or whatever you need.

Put a siphon tube in the 20. Buy a 5 and run that. Fire supply company will do that and give it a fresh hydro date cheap. Remember though you won't be able to run beverage off the 20 anymore. I'm looking in a cheap way to refill paint ball bottles adapter wise. They would only be good for serving already carbed beer but that would leave the 5 available to carb something else.

Back