Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbud1

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question.

When I read beer recipe directions it says leave your beer fermenting for around a week or so in first primary fermentor. Then, when fermentation is done, the air lock stops bubbling, change to a secondary fermentor and continue for as long as needed.

You don't add any more yeast to the secondary fermentor correct? Can I get my beer to a higher abv using a second fermentor? Is it simply for straining the beer of sediment?

Thanks

Often, those recipe instructions say the same thing for every style even though it may be unnecessary for most. I've seen some that are just plain wrong and/or outdated.

What sort of beer are you brewing? Unless you're adding something (like fruit), are dry-hopping or have some other specific reason, skip the secondary. You won't gain any ABV or any other benefit. You can increase the risk of oxidation by transferring the beer and by having headspace without enough CO2 to push the air out.

Let it go 3 weeks in the primary and then rack straight to the bottling bucket.

No need for any additional yeast. It is more accurately described as a bright tank. It is for letting sediment settle only. This will also have no effect whatsoever on the ABV of the beer. That is done through recipe and yeast selection.

Wait 2-3 weeks in primary then check for final gravity then bottle the beer. In most cases, if you are not adding things like fruit, a secondary is not necessary.

Back