West Coast IPA critique!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Here's what I have planned. Shooting for a fruity, citrusy, tropical IPA. Not too malty or sweet. I really want to have these hop shine!

Sorry for the crappy pic, but let me know your thoughts! Thank you all!

image-1980696510.jpg

Love the Galaxy dry hop. I have been on a Citra/Galaxy kick lately. Warrior at 10 is an odd choice. Never heard that used for anything other than bittering. I might drop that and swap it for something else from the "C" category if you are going for citrus. Maybe some Centennial or something?

davekippen said:
Love the Galaxy dry hop. I have been on a Citra/Galaxy kick lately. Warrior at 10 is an odd choice. Never heard that used for anything other than bittering. I might drop that and swap it for something else from the "C" category if you are going for citrus. Maybe some Centennial or something?

How would cascade be or citra?

davekippen said:

How does cascade or citra sound?

davekippen said:
Either would be great!

How does Calypso sound? I bought half a pound. I really wanted to try it but I heard that it can ruin the other hop flavors?

If you have more falconers flight I would use it. I am drinking a FF DIPA with 5 oz in the boil and 3 oz dry hop and it is perfect. I used .75 oz magnum for bittering FWH and its so smooth.

I'd swap the Carapils for Crystal 45 & steep. Add 1lb sugar late & gypsum to the water. Kick boil time down to 60min, 1/4 DME beginning, 3/4 DME late.

Echo what others said on hops. Hopstand looks good. DH with 3 oz plus

You don't need carapils or a 90 minute boil when using extract. 90 minute boils and carapils are more suited to all grain beers.

Add another ounce to the dryhop. Make a yeast starter with that WLP090. You're gonna need it! Some sucrose or dextrose in the recipe wouldn't hurt. If you use a pound of sugar in place of a pound of extract it will drop to 1.014-16 FG.

Lagger said:
I'd swap the Carapils for Crystal 45 & steep. Add 1lb sugar late & gypsum to the water. Kick boil time down to 60min, 1/4 DME beginning, 3/4 DME late.

Echo what others said on hops. Hopstand looks good. DH with 3 oz plus

So keep the crystal at .5lb still? Will the crystal just add more color? I don't want it being too sweet. I'll switch out warrior at 10 min with more Zythos. (Still new to all this) thanks again for the help

Back