Split batch with different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
As a rather curious person by nature, I have been thinking of trying something different. I tend to brew 5 gallon batches and tend towards the Ale styles. I have branched out on my last couple of batches to include a Pils and a Lager. Both of which were very different. My next attempt is going to be a Helle's style I think, but as I sit here sipping my home roasted coffee I thought of doing something a bit different. If, and it is a big if at this point, I was to brew say an APA or something in those lines and used two different yeasts to see really what each brings to the party, what would be your thoughts on what to use? I primarily have used S05 and Bry97 as my go to's with WLP001 and CaliAle in the mix as well. I have tried different hops in a SMASH situation, so my hop experiments have gone well. I have a big inventory of Cascade and Columbus, so I was thinking a SMASH ale using different yeasts might be kinda cool. One would be made, fermented and bottled, then the second using the different yeast would be done probably about two weeks later. I would keep both in the closet, so the first would have about a 2 week head start in conditioning. I would put both in the fridge, marked of course, about two weeks after the second has had time to condition and see what they both have going on. So, in my long winded post, my question would be, is using S05 and Bry97 as my comparison yeasts good, or would going completely different for the second yeast be better? I know both Bry97 and S05 are pretty similar, so maybe doing that comparison is not really doing any comparison at all. What say the experts? Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks in advance for the input.

If, and it is a big if at this point, I was to brew say an APA or something in those lines and used two different yeasts to see really what each brings to the party, what would be your thoughts on what to use?
Diamond, Nottingham, New England, and Vermont.

I was thinking a SMASH ale using different yeasts might be kinda cool
Consider using clone recipes beers for classic (e.g. SNPA, 2H) and modern (e.g. no crystal malt) beers.

is using S05 and Bry97 as my comparison yeasts good, or would going completely different for the second yeast be better?
I would start with two different strains - and brew a couple of batches to know how they perform.

There are hundreds of great yeasts to try in APA or similar. Read yeast descriptions online someplace and try whatever sounds interesting to YOU. Try a dozen different yeasts over several batches. You will figure out your own favorites. Personally I tend to use whatever is (1) decent and (2) cheapest! I do enjoy splitting batches to try different yeasts, because you never know... even the so-called "equivalents" out there aren't truly equivalent, hardly ever. There will be differences, and only by tasting the same beers with different yeasts can you develop your own preferences.

Latest posts

Back