IPA Taste Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmsb

Reaction score
I brewed my first IPA 4 and 1/2 weeks ago. It was an all grain kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop and contained a small amount of hops so I wasn't expecting a huge nose or even a high IBU. I fermented for 2 weeks in a glass carboy and pitched at 70-75 degrees. At the time I didn't have a hydrometer so I was unable to take readings but it had a strong fermentation and all of the yeast had settled down in the 1 gallon jug by the time I bottled.

I used a carbing calculator from Northern Brewing for the IPA and added dextrose to the bottling bucket being careful to avoid splashing and oxidizing the beer. The bottles have been sitting in the closet for the last 2 1/2 weeks and I cracked one open yesterday. The malt taste overpowers the hop flavor and It's really all I'm detecting in the beer besides a nice bitter aftertaste. It also has somewhat of a yeasty smell and a mild yeast taste to it.

My question is, did I do something wrong to create this overpowering malt taste or is it the fact that I only used a small amount of hops that came with the kit? I would assume the yeasty taste and smell is due to the fact that it is a younger beer and needs another week or two, hopefully some senior brewers can weigh in.

I brewed my first IPA 4 and 1/2 weeks ago. It was an all grain kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop and contained a small amount of hops so I wasn't expecting a huge nose or even a high IBU. I fermented for 2 weeks in a glass carboy and pitched at 70-75 degrees. At the time I didn't have a hydrometer so I was unable to take readings but it had a strong fermentation and all of the yeast had settled down in the 1 gallon jug by the time I bottled.

I used a carbing calculator from Northern Brewing for the IPA and added dextrose to the bottling bucket being careful to avoid splashing and oxidizing the beer. The bottles have been sitting in the closet for the last 2 1/2 weeks and I cracked one open yesterday. The malt taste overpowers the hop flavor and It's really all I'm detecting in the beer besides a nice bitter aftertaste. It also has somewhat of a yeasty smell and a mild yeast taste to it.

My question is, did I do something wrong to create this overpowering malt taste or is it the fact that I only used a small amount of hops that came with the kit? I would assume the yeasty taste and smell is due to the fact that it is a younger beer and needs another week or two, hopefully some senior brewers can weigh in.

did you cold crash the bottles before you popped one??? if not that yeasty smell/taste comes from the yeast not dropping out of suspension from being too warm.

as for the hops. How much hops did it come with? did you dry hop?

What do you mean by a small amount of hops? Which type, how much, and added at what point?

A 1 gallon batch with 1/4 oz of a high AA hop at 60 minutes would be plenty of bittering.

Most of the big hop aroma in an IPA comes from dry hopping, so if the recipe didn't include that, you won't get that big nose even if the beer is bitter.

It came with around a 1/4 ounce of Columbus and less than an ounce of cascade for 1 gallon. I didn't dry hop this time around because I didn't have the ingredients and it was my first batch but I plan on dry hopping my next IPA. By cold crashing do you mean throwing them in the fridge for 48+ hours? I left the bottle in the fridge for around 24 hours or so before I tasted it. Sorry for the newbie question but I'm about 2 months in and loving home brew.

billl,

The columbus were added at the start of the boil and then the Cascade were divided into fifths and added at 15 min into the boil, 30min, 45min, 55min, and 60min (flame out).

What was your mash temp? effeciancy will play a roll in being malty as well depending on the size of the grain bill. Could be alot of factors, need to know your brew day procedure.

Plugging those into an IBU calculator, your beer should be in the 90 IBU range. That is quite bitter even for an IPA.

I would suspect this is just the yeast taste. Give them a couple more weeks at room temp for the yeast to drop naturally and then stick one in the fridge for a couple days.

@poislb,

Brought my mash water to 160 and it dropped to around 150 after I added the grain. I kept the mash between 144 and 152 for an hour. I would say the average temp was around 150 for the hour but it did drop a few times to 144/142 and I had to kick on the heat again. Sparge water was heated to 170 and I mashed out at 170. Then I strained the grains and ran the sparge water through slowly and collected all of the liquid from the strain and sparge water into one pot. The wort was then poured over the grain 2 more times and then I started my boil. Added the columbus hops at the beginning of the boil (around 1/4 or less) and then added my Cascade at 15 min into the boil, 30, 40, 55, and 60 (flame out). The wort chilled in the sink with a lid for around 30 min and was then funneled into the primary glass carboy at 70-75 degrees when I pitched.

Thanks billl and everyone else for the replies I appreciate it. I have to say HBT is one of the greatest resources for a new home brewer and everyone has been so helpful. I'll let it sit for another 2 weeks or so and then have a taste after they have been in the fridge.

Back