Kit off by 1/2 oz Vanguard -- hmmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgs

Reaction score
n00b lesson and question.

Got up early today to brew a kit for E. J. Phair's Phat Quail Ale I bought in NorCal (which I later found available by mail order, but never mind -- it was a nice visit to an LHBS). While checking the kit against the recipe, I found something is incorrect -- presumably packed wrong. (n00b lesson: check the kit before brew day.)

The grains are (presumably) correct. The hops are off. So my question: I assume .5 oz makes a big difference?

As listed in the recipe:

.5 oz Glacier, 60 min
1 oz Vanguard, 15 min
1 oz Vanguard, 1 min
1 oz Cascade, 1 min
1 oz Glacier, dry hop in secondary

As provided in the kit:

.5 oz Glacier
1 oz Vanguard
.5 oz Vanguard
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Glacier
1 oz Glacier

In other words, I'm missing .5 oz Vanguard and have a "spare part" of 1 oz Glacier.

I will rejigger my day so I can get to my LHBS when it opens at 10 a.m. and buy .5 oz Vanguard, just to be sure. In the relative scheme of things I'd think, it's a small amount but it has to make a distinct difference, yes?

The difference would be very small. Vanguard has a mild aroma, much like its Hallertau parent. I'd use half of the extra Glacier at 15 minutes and move a half ounce of Vanguard from 15 to 1 minute.

Back