Anyone have a review of "Homebrewer's Garden"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about picking up the book so i have something to read over the holidays, but i didnt want to buy it if it wasnt very good. Does anyone have an old copy of it they wanna sell me or .. can you provide a review of whether it was good or not? I may run down to barns and noble to pick it up. :ban:

Its not a bad book to have.. I bought a copy after starting my hops 2 years ago and it gives more in depth information about growing, harvesting and maintaining your hops as well as some recipes for some herbal beers. Not too much more information than what you can find here at HBT if you look around in the Hops Growing forum, but it was a good book for a hop n00b such as myself back then.

A friend bought it for me and I like it. It's not something you'd want to sit and read cover to cover. It has some good methods for malting barley, growing hops, and lots of info on various herbs for brewing. There are some hop alternatives that grow wild here that I want to try. So I'd say go ahead and buy it.

It's a good book. Only one chapter is the one you are looking for, but the others cover other brewing grains and flavorings, which is cool and will be helpful later, but I know when I read through the growing hops chapter and it ended a little quick, I was surprised.

I guess I'm a little more crazy. I agree that there is only one chapter on growing hops, the rest of the book is dedicated to brewing herbs. I do read this book cover to cover, often.

My brewers garden goes beyond hops and I've planted wormwood, mugwort, hyssop, nasturtiums, well the list goes on and on. The book has been a huge help in turning my garden into a brewer's garden. I love that book.

I bought it for christmas this past year and it was a really big help in planting my hops. Now that I'm doing AG I will probably plant some of the other herbs that were listed and work on building an oust. Truthfully I use this website as a better resource. Saying that:mug: I would give it a 4 out of 5.

Latest posts

Back