Johnson temp controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
Recently purchased the a419abg-3c electronic temp control and having issues operating. Must admit the brochure is in a different language (not really but to me). Anyone ever use and have advise on setting up and operating?

To provide more info - set jump 1 to heating mode and jump 2 at set point at cutin. Tried to set at 70 and diff at 1. I came back down and fridge went from 54 down to 45. Wrong way

SP is the temp you want the fridge at. Dif is how much lower than sp you want the compressor to kick on. So if you want 35 degrees and the compressor to turn on at 32 then sp= 35 and dif = 3. I find that dif at 5 is good for a keezer with kegs and 2 is good for fermentation chamber.

I left that switch setup at default.

Empty fridge will have extreme differences so put a bucket of water in there or some beers.

edit: I meant dif value tells when to turn off compressor.

LAbrewer said:
SP is the temp you want the fridge at. Dif is how much lower than sp you want the compressor to kick on. So if you want 35 degrees and the compressor to turn on at 32 then sp= 35 and dif = 3. I find that dif at 5 is good for a keezer with kegs and 2 is good for fermentation chamber.

I left that switch setup at default.

Empty fridge will have extreme differences so put a bucket of water in there or some beers.

Do you heat the fridge to 60s and 70s?

When I read the instructions it stated change for heating vs cooling. It seems to be opposite of what I want as fridge kicked on to lower

Do you heat the fridge to 60s and 70s?

When I read the instructions it stated change for heating vs cooling. It seems to be opposite of what I want as fridge kicked on to lower

I was a little confusing in my last post. Ignore what I said. Unplug your fridge. Let the temp rise to above 70. plug it in and set the controller. The compressor will turn on at SP and off at the dif value. So on at 70 and off at 69 if sp=70 and dif=1. If it doesn't work change the switch setting.

LAbrewer said:
I was a little confusing in my last post. Ignore what I said. Unplug your fridge. Let the temp rise to above 70. plug it in and set the controller. The compressor will turn on at SP and off at the dif value. So on at 70 and off at 69 if sp=70 and dif=1. If it doesn't work change the switch setting.

Thanks LA- last question. My fridge has settings within - do I need to do anything special like shutoff or keep at highest?

Thanks LA- last question. My fridge has settings within - do I need to do anything special like shutoff or keep at highest?

Set the fridge to the coldest value that it has so that it will never interfere with the controller. Also make sure that the temp probe is not touching anything. drape it over a rale or something.

LAbrewer said:
Set the fridge to the coldest value that it has so that it will never interfere with the controller. Also make sure that the temp probe is not touching anything. drape it over a rale or something.

Thanks so much - definitely appreciate all of the valuable insight. Just got her up and running!!!!!!

You don't want to set it to heating mode, you want it in cooling mode. i.e. cut out when the set point is reached.

I set the SP to the temperature that I want, diff to 1, and ASd to the maximum. I also place the probe in a thermowell, so it monitors the temperature of the beer, rather than the ambient temperature. If you don't have or cannot use a thermowell, you should tape the probe to the side of the fermenter, and wrap some insulation around it so it measures the temperature of the beer rather than the temperature outside the fermenter.

-a.

Got it done! Bavarian Pilsner is chugging away at 50 in the fridge out in my 25 degree garage. Thanks to a hair dryer that temperature controller and a little ingenuity from yo boy

I just bought one of these, and it is doing an amazing job. Before I put my brew in my chamber, I tested it out for a week with a carboy filled with water. I taped the probe to the outside of my better bottle and put some bubble wrap over it. Temp readings were dead on. I got a robust porter bubbling away right now :)

You can see the bubble wrap to the right insulating my probe from the ambient temps.

23idu9y.jpg

Back