Bread yeast as nutrient??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

Reaction score
I'm making a batch tonight and was wondering, if I boil a couple tablespoons full of bread yeast in the last 15 mins, will that act as nutrient for the stuff I pitch? Someone said they do it with wine yeast from time to time, just thought I'd ask.

Yes it will. It's a fairly common practice. I've done it on big beers, with either bread yeast, or those left over 1/2 packs of yeast from doing small batches.

Yup, it works for me. I bought a big 1kg brick of bread yeast that turned out to make nasty bread, so it's just yeast nutrient now.

Doesn't matter what kind of yeast you use? Just throw it in the boil for the last 15 minutes as a general nutrient?

I'm making a batch tonight and was wondering, if I boil a couple tablespoons full of bread yeast in the last 15 mins, will that act as nutrient for the stuff I pitch? Someone said they do it with wine yeast from time to time, just thought I'd ask.

You have to contain the nutrient of yeast I have my experience regarding this. But I am wondering what if I did not use the bread yeast? How does it work?

Wouldn't bread yeast cells supposed to be dead if you are using them as nutrient?
If they are alive they will activate and compete with brewers yeast for maltose...

Wouldn't bread yeast cells supposed to be dead if you are using them as nutrient?
If they are alive they will activate and compete with brewers yeast for maltose...

That's why we drop them in the boiling wort. OR some folks just by the stuff from the health food store which is dead.

Wow! I've never needed a blowoff tube before. This time it's a must. I'm doing this every time I brew now. The fermentation is like nothing I've ever seen.

I added two tablespoons then just pitched a packet of dried yeast. Next time I'll only add one tablespoon.

I use Wyeast nutrient when I pressure can my starter wort, and I can assure you from smell alone that their nutrient has a lot of dead yeast. There's more to it, of course, but I don't use it on anything below 1.080.

As far as blowoff, it's yeast dependent. I've had happy yeasts with a tiny krausen, and Chico strains on low gravity beers that seem like volcanos.

Does anyone noticed difference between bread yeast (or any yeast hulls) and nutrient in terms of flavor?

Would this be something you would consider doing if you were making a barleywine?

I just did an experiment I used 1/2 packet of a bunch of different yeasts, could I boil the leftovers in a small amount of water and add them back in after it cools?

Back