Some advice please for a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friend introduced me to A spiced Mead while i was on Holiday and I now i want to make it for myself.

However i have run into a snag, The country where i am currently does not have the best resources for brewing and can not import due to strict custom regulations regarding anything to do with Brewing/Alcohol etc....

My Question is:
In regards to Yeast Nutrients the recipes i have found call for Fermaid 0 but i can not get it here at all but can get something called Brewers Yeast can i substitute?? If not any suggestions please.

I was given the suggestion to boil some bread yeast but......

Can someone please advise as to the best options or alternatives for Yeast Nutrients

Thank you.

Diammonium phosphate is also a good nitrogen source for yeast growth but avoid urea - it can produce ethyl carbamate which is a known carcinogen.

I have never done it, but my understanding is that boiled bread yeast will give you yeast hulls to use as nutrients. It doesn't have all the vitamins that Fermaid-O would, but it will be a lot better than using nothing at all.

Back