Dark coloured bubbles on top - mold or fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dosnbgsk475

Reaction score
I'm trying to ferment a jug of grape juice with fleischmanns bread yeast. A very thick layer of bubbles formed on top of it after a couple hours, but the top half of said bubble layer is a very dark purple. The drink itself is kinda that same colour, but I still worry that it might be mold. Should I dump it or is this a normal thing?

As for smells: theres just a strong yeast smell.
1000002807.jpg

I think you're looking at dried-on deposits on the jug surface, in the top part of the foam, as it doesn't get rinsed off repeatedly, as the lower section does.
There's no reason whatsoever for it to be mold, certainly not within a couple weeks.

Mold needs moisture and Oxygen to grow. That headspace, although it's damp, is filled with CO2 from the fermentation and the bubbles contain alcohol. All deterrents for molds to grow.

Don't shake or swirl that jug at this point, or you may get a huge purple wine geiser, due to CO2 coming out of solution.

Keep it going the way it is, and RDWHAHB!

I think you're looking at dried-on deposits on the jug surface, in the top part of the foam, as it doesn't get rinsed off repeatedly, as the lower section does.
There's no reason whatsoever for it to be mold, certainly not within a couple weeks.

Mold needs moisture and Oxygen to grow. That headspace, although it's damp, is filled with CO2 from the fermentation and the bubbles contain alcohol. All deterrents for molds to grow.

Don't shake or swirl that jug at this point, or you may get a huge purple wine geiser, due to CO2 coming out of solution.

Keep it going the way it is, and RDWHAHB!
Thanks man, really appreciate it!

Back