Is more yeast nutrient better? and when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huckdavidson

Reaction score
Can someone explain why and when more than the recommended amount of yeast nutrient would be appropriate?

Not being familiar with the microbiology or metabolism of yeast, my thoughts on the subject are:

1.) A certain population of yeast will use a set amount of nutrient, so more just ends up in your beer.
2.) Or does it work more like you and I take vitamins, take too many at once and bad things happen? Of course, yeast probably don't have stomachs and aren't voluntarily ingesting excess nutrient.

How does the manufacturer of the nutrient know that the yeast are consuming it all? or does some remain in the finished beer even at the recommended dosage.

If there are remnants in the finished beer then things like DAP may not be appropriate for use in beer.

You're making beer? A fairly standard wort comprised mostly of barley? If so, you probably don't need any added nutrients.

It is more like 1). The yeast don't utilize it all and it stays in your beer. It tastes bad. It does not age out.

You're making beer? A fairly standard wort comprised mostly of barley? If so, you probably don't need any added nutrients.

True but I'm more interested in any cases where more than the recommended amount would be beneficial.

It is more like 1). The yeast don't utilize it all and it stays in your beer. It tastes bad. It does not age out.

I was thinking along those same lines.

Latest posts

Back