Rye IPA Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
hey all you brewers out there!

I'd like to make a rye-Amarillo I/PA for a buddy of mine who's been a mentor and is currently deployed. It'll be a "welcome back" in March. My question is how much rye you think should go in an IPA. I'm looking for enough rye to be noticeable but not overwhelming or harsh at all.

I'd appreciate any insights you may have from your experiences.

Thanks!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I've made a couple of batches, one of which was Denny's Wry-Smile. I used 17% rye in one and 20% of the other. I liked the higher % and spicy kick it gave the beer.

Depends on how long you are planning to age and drink. My experience is that about 5 weeks the Rye In Dennys recipe is great and then it fades. That is part of the reason he tells people to drink it sooner than later. So for longer aging bump it up, maybe 25%.

Thanks for the input, folks. Seems the consensus is around 20%. I think I'll try a small batch at that level and move from there. I appreciate the help!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I really like Ed Wort's Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA (see recipes section). I've done three batches, and it looks like it's becoming a regular.

Thanks, Rico! I'll check it out. Dunno why I didn't read Rye recipes before posting this... :drunk:

Back