Help Me Build My Home Brewery Setup on My Budget.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past few years, I've honed my brewing skills using a modest setup: a kettle on the stove, alongside some plastic buckets and carboys. After diligently saving, I'm ready to invest in my first all-grain system, adhering to the philosophy of prioritizing quality to ensure a lasting investment. My budget caps at $4000 USD, aiming for a 240v brewing system that includes a fermenter capable of pressure transfers and cooling, all in stainless steel.

In my search, I've narrowed down the options to the Grainfather G40, Brewzilla Gen 4, and Spike Solo, each with its unique advantages. Currently, I'm leaning towards the G40 and Brewzilla, wrestling with the decision of which might offer superior durability and performance.

For fermentation, I've considered the Grainfather GF30, paired with their glycol chiller, and the SS Unitank 2.0, accompanied by SS's Glycol chiller. While I recognize the quality of these options, I'm looking for input on which setup might yield the best brewing experience, minimize complications, and stand the test of time. I'm particularly interested in equipment that will support my focus on brewing NEIPAs, especially in terms of minimizing oxygen exposure during dry hopping.

I welcome any recommendations or insights into alternative setups that could meet these criteria. Thank you in advance for your guidance!

What size batches are you looking to brew? I have been really impressed with every piece of spike gear I have. I have been eyeing their Tank mash tun and kettle.

For your controller, I’d suggest something expandable and modular. Make sure if something breaks you don’t need to replace it with something proprietary. It might be worth looking into Brucontrol.

I make 5-10 gallon batches. I agree Spike seems to have great gear, but it is extremely expensive.

I’m really happy with my Spike Flex+ fermenter. It’s capable of pressure fermenting and you could get almost three of them for the price of that Unitank. The biggest downside is that you can’t do CIP but it’s really not that bad washing them in the sink. Much more manageable than a 15-20 gallon kettle.

To my best knowledge the GF30 is not able to neither dry hop nor pressurize, so that one could be taken off the list. Never used the Unitank though, so I have no real comments on that one. I would probably look toward Kegland for a fermenter as well, if you already have your eyes on a Brewzilla.

You can get the full Solo setup with a CF10 and cooling kit for a little shy of $4k. Thats not including a glycol chiller though

You can get the full Solo setup with a CF10 and cooling kit for a little shy of $4k. Thats not including a glycol chiller though
Let's say I went with the full spike setup. Do you know if its possible to use their TC-100 Cooling kit with some Cooler setup while I wait to get a glycol chiller?

Let's say I went with the full spike setup. Do you know if its possible to use their TC-100 Cooling kit with some Cooler setup while I wait to get a glycol chiller?

Like a legit Igloo style cooler? Yes. I did it for a little while. The TC100 has a submersible pump and you'd just put it in there. The PITA with the cooler is you need to be constantly changing the ice out because of it melting. It wasn't bad while I was just maintaining fermenting temps, but cold crashing wasn't a thing with the ice solution.

Yeah, I use my old orange mash tun cooler with ice and water for now. Right now I can cold crash since my garage is sitting around 50 degrees. I have a bunch of jugs in the freezer that I swap out throughout the day. I am hoping to get a glycol chiller soon too but its totally feasible with a cooler of ice.

When you said you want to focus on NEPIAs two things occurred to me. 1) the Brewzilla Gen 4 has a center drain bottom so there is no ability to whirlpool and everything from the boil goes into the fermenter. 2) if you plan to dry hop, make sure your fermenter will have enough extra TC ports on top to use one for hop dropping. 2a) if you will be doing multiple trub dumps then maybe you don’t care about #1.

Yeah, I use my old orange mash tun cooler with ice and water for now. Right now I can cold crash since my garage is sitting around 50 degrees. I have a bunch of jugs in the freezer that I swap out throughout the day. I am hoping to get a glycol chiller soon too but its totally feasible with a cooler of ice.
Like a legit Igloo style cooler? Yes. I did it for a little while. The TC100 has a submersible pump and you'd just put it in there. The PITA with the cooler is you need to be constantly changing the ice out because of it melting. It wasn't bad while I was just maintaining fermenting temps, but cold crashing wasn't a thing with the ice solution.
Do you guys put anything in the water to prevent bacteria growth? My cooler would be in my basement, so I just wanna make sure the water inside of it doesn't get nasty.

When you said you want to focus on NEPIAs two things occurred to me. 1) the Brewzilla Gen 4 has a center drain bottom so there is no ability to whirlpool and everything from the boil goes into the fermenter. 2) if you plan to dry hop, make sure your fermenter will have enough extra TC ports on top to use one for hop dropping. 2a) if you will be doing multiple trub dumps then maybe you don’t care about #1.
I don't mind doing multiple dumps. I'm wondering if Brewzilla Gen 4 has an accessory to help with that. I'm not a fan of hop spiders, but I can use it if it's a problem. The G40 seems really nice, but I don't really know if the price is ACTUALLY worth it over the Brewzilla.

I’d second this. If nothing else, an igloo cooler with ice can be used to maintain fermentation temps until a glycol chiller is purchased. Just remember that the 15 gal solo system is necessary to do 10 gal batches, and it might be pressed at times depending on the desired OG.

I’d recommend buying an old window AC unit for $50 (or less!) and converting it into a glycol chiller. It’s a bit of a project but it can really save you a good bit of money. I’ve had mine for about 2 years now and it still works just fine. I can get my glycol solution down to 26 degrees without issue, which makes cold crashing a breeze. If the air conditioner takes a dump one day, I’ll just buy another unit and repeat the process 😂.

I’d second this. If nothing else, an igloo cooler with ice can be used to maintain fermentation temps until a glycol chiller is purchased. Just remember that the 15 gal solo system is necessary to do 10 gal batches, and it might be pressed at times depending on the desired OG.

I’d recommend buying an old window AC unit for $50 (or less!) and converting it into a glycol chiller. It’s a bit of a project but it can really save you a good bit of money. I’ve had mine for about 2 years now and it still works just fine. I can get my glycol solution down to 26 degrees without issue, which makes cold crashing a breeze. If the air conditioner takes a dump one day, I’ll just buy another unit and repeat the process 😂.
Any good videos on this process?

I went with the 20g for my 10g batches. It hit that price point he was looking at. I wonder if I can find the old order total I paid

Edit: found it. Paid $3514 in 2022 for the 20 gallon solo system, CF10, tc100 and leg extensions, shelf brace for cf10 and casters. Oh and a sight glass. Prices will be a bit more from recent year cost inflation but well within the mark.

Last edited:
With some careful purchasing, you may be able to put together a 3V herms system. That won't include a glycol chiller though... and a flex+ will probably put you over your cap.
Or talk to @Bobby_M , he puts together a good biab type system
Something to think about...

For an inexpensive glycol chiller (~$600 for the unit) that works great and requires no effort…. get a BrewBuilt Ice Master Max 2. Perfect if you need to chill 1 or 2 fermenters.

I have this conversation an average of 3 times a day and it's always amazing how variable the goals can be. I've been trying to put together a standard list of questions. Batch size is a big one and I encourage you to really think hard about it. You will brew more often and get better at it with smaller batches. Can you make 10 gallons of beer disappear once a month? How often do you want to brew? This affects how many fermenters you need.

Best way I've found to help on budget is keep your eye on Craigslist and Marketplace.

Some more thoughts.

If your planned brewing frequency is such that you don't think you'll have more than one fermenter full at a time, consider putting your fermenter into a second hand refrigerator. Sure, some people just can't spare the footprint, but there are some advantages to fridge containment over glycol. First, it's much less fiddly. No pump circuit to worry about. No leaks. No condensation dripping everywhere. Better temp stability. Colder cold crashes. The fermenter is usually easier to clean without an internal coil. More energy efficient. A lot of these advantages fall apart if you think you'll have two or three concurrent fermentations, which is what a glycol system is optimized for.

For fermentation, I've considered the Grainfather GF30, paired with their glycol chiller, and the SS Unitank 2.0, accompanied by SS's Glycol chiller. While I recognize the quality of these options, I'm looking for input on which setup might yield the best brewing experience, minimize complications, and stand the test of time. I'm particularly interested in equipment that will support my focus on brewing NEIPAs, especially in terms of minimizing oxygen exposure during dry hopping.

I welcome any recommendations or insights into alternative setups that could meet these criteria. Thank you in advance for your guidance!
I’ve been using Speidel plastic fermenters for my NEIPAs and so far they work pretty good. I up graded the bottom valve from plastic to metal and added a co2 attachment to the top for pressure transferees and since it’s plastic, I can use a magnet to hold dry hops to the upper part of the fermenter. It’s not stainless steel or impressive looking, but it solved some issues I was having.
There’s so much used high end brewing gear for sale right now and you should be able to get everything you need for way less than $4k.

For the past few years, I've honed my brewing skills using a modest setup: a kettle on the stove, alongside some plastic buckets and carboys. After diligently saving, I'm ready to invest in my first all-grain system, adhering to the philosophy of prioritizing quality to ensure a lasting investment. My budget caps at $4000 USD, aiming for a 240v brewing system that includes a fermenter capable of pressure transfers and cooling, all in stainless steel.

In my search, I've narrowed down the options to the Grainfather G40, Brewzilla Gen 4, and Spike Solo, each with its unique advantages. Currently, I'm leaning towards the G40 and Brewzilla, wrestling with the decision of which might offer superior durability and performance.

I can sell you a turnkey electric set with all your desired pieces and more, with all the pieces for 4k. Message me for details.

Not sure of your location, I am in central indiana so pick up/meet up is easiest.

Last edited:
I can sell you a turnkey electric set with all your desired pieces and more, with all the pieces for 4k. Message me for details.

Not sure of your location, I am in central indiana so pick up/meet up is easiest.
I am in central CT nowhere near you, unfortunately.

I have this conversation an average of 3 times a day and it's always amazing how variable the goals can be. I've been trying to put together a standard list of questions. Batch size is a big one and I encourage you to really think hard about it. You will brew more often and get better at it with smaller batches. Can you make 10 gallons of beer disappear once a month? How often do you want to brew? This affects how many fermenters you need.
Great comments. I have come to appreciate the relationship between batch size and brewing frequency over the last several months. Especially so in my transition to all grain brewing. Following the initial 5 gallon batches in my new SVBS, it seemed advisable to scale back to 2.5 gallon with the BIAB system to work on process. Even @ 2.5 its easy to exceed my storage capacity when consumption lags behind production.

Some more thoughts.

If your planned brewing frequency is such that you don't think you'll have more than one fermenter full at a time, consider putting your fermenter into a second hand refrigerator. Sure, some people just can't spare the footprint, but there are some advantages to fridge containment over glycol. First, it's much less fiddly. No pump circuit to worry about. No leaks. No condensation dripping everywhere. Better temp stability. Colder cold crashes. The fermenter is usually easier to clean without an internal coil. More energy efficient. A lot of these advantages fall apart if you think you'll have two or three concurrent fermentations, which is what a glycol system is optimized for.
I was in the glycol/conical plan for the longest time, but before I moved to glycol, I instead decided to move to 6-gallon torpedo kegs inside Danby dorm fridges. Much easier, and the fridges support my brewing workbench, saving space, to boot. Win-win!

I just rebuilt my whole system from the ground up, and this was central to the whole process. I have three gallon kegs, so 3G, 6G, or even 9G batches. All equipment was built around that. In the past I brewed 10G and bottled.

I built a system based on what @Bobby_M has put together. Considering the time, $ and sourcing of everything, you really can't do much better.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabpackagetank.htm

For your budget with 5-10 gallon batches, the spike or SSBrewtech systems are fantastic. The higher end of both come with all sanitary welded fittings with triclamp connections and are totally worth it. I don't personally have experience with the electric systems, choosing direct fire for my needs, but I don't think you can go wrong. I am an SSBrewtech fan and their unitank 2.0 is awesome. Glycol jackets paired with a glycol chiller will let you make anything you want with precise temp control. Be mindful of the additional expenses, however. You will need braided or thick wall tubing, TC clamps, etc and those will easily be another 1000 for the system. SSBrewtech does ship with MPT connections and threaded TC assembly, but you can purchase TC ball valves, sight glasses etc atermarket. I also recommend the CIP for the unitank and an RO system so you can create your water profiles and have blank water for all of your cleaning, sanitization, etc. I got one from Amazon for $250 an it has been well worth it. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back