Zymatic Recipe Formulation - Water Amount Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the715

Reaction score
Super random shot in the dark here, but I'm getting sick of having to try and measure out .79 or .67 gallons of water for these batches. Have any of you figured out a way to get a round number for required water for your batches (i.e. .5 or .75 gallons)? Any tips?

Not really sure of your problem, but I weigh my water because its simple. Put the keg on the scale and add water to weight.

That's all based off of water absorption percentages for the grains. Picobrew isn't always the most accurate on that with the recipe crafter and I find I have to go between Beersmith and the RC to get it right.

But yea, just use the weight of the water to get your total amount. You can just put your water amount in here and then weigh the water with a scale, like the one I use.

That's all based off of water absorption percentages for the grains. Picobrew isn't always the most accurate on that with the recipe crafter and I find I have to go between Beersmith and the RC to get it right.

But yea, just use the weight of the water to get your total amount. You can just put your water amount in here and then weigh the water with a scale, like the one I use.

Do you actually formulate your recipes in Beersmith and then port them over? Does it work well?

I use Beersmith for my other equipment and batches, but I just use the crafter for the zymatic pilots. Didn't even think that they would work together.

Yes I do. I have not used the recipe crafter in quite some time. I just have a basic recipe that I use to start the Zymatic. I run the same recipe every time on the Zymatic and adjust for the mash profile and to change the hop position/time, depending upon what I am brewing. I strictly use Beersmith to create and manage my recipes, no need to port to the Zymatic.

Towards the end of my love hate Zymatic relationship I mostly just used BrewSmith and one or two canned advanced recipes. One of the things that really pissed me off were the simple/stupid recipe editor bugs that they never bothered to fix. Used a scale for the keg/water.

Back