Zombie Dust BJCP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory T

Reaction score
I am brewing a Zombie Dust clone for a friend. (I don't drink bitter beer). I brew Belgians exclusively, but I thought it would be fun to try something different. Anyway, Id like to enter it into our local contest, Brewer's Cup, assuming they hold it. I am also brewing from a kit for the second time ever in 10 years brewing. I got the kit up from Great Fermentation's

I am debating between

18A and 21A for BJCP style

Any feedback/opinions?

I’m guessing you meant 18B American Pale Ale or 21A American IPA.

I would wait and taste the beer before deciding which is the best category.

If the Bittering is subdued and you are getting lots of hop flavor and aroma the Pale Ale may be best. The other thing to consider is the time between brewing the beer and when judging begins. If this is a long time then some of the hoppiness could fade which would favor entering it into Pale Ale.

If the bittering is firm then enter it as an IPA

I won 3rd place at the Bluebonnet Brewoff with Northern Brewer’s Zombie Dust clone kit a few years back entered as American IPA 21A

There is nothing wrong entering it into both categories.

Easy decision, enter it in both.

Agreed. Cover your bases. It really is between styles. I'm drinking the Zombie Dust clone from Zymurgy magazine but I did a 50% citra and 50% simcoe hop split. I've got it with all Citra as well. It walks the line between styles. I'd enter in both and see what the judges have to say. Use that as a baseline for future years. Hope it turns out well! Are you also an Indiana based brewer?

I used to brew this one all the time. I don't remember the specifics I will have to go back and look at my recipe sheets. I do know it taste wonderful.

I've had my share of Zombie Dust (the 3 Floyds beer, not homebrew) and it's wonderful when fresh. It does not have a shelf life however and, to me, tastes like cat pee if it get very old at all. I'm talking like 4-6 weeks old.

I haven't had any in several years because the last two times I bought it it was nasty. I think it's an issue I have with citra...especially when used in the boil. For that reason I never use citra as a bittering hop. Usually I only use it for dry hop additions.

Agreed. Cover your bases. It really is between styles. I'm drinking the Zombie Dust clone from Zymurgy magazine but I did a 50% citra and 50% simcoe hop split. I've got it with all Citra as well. It walks the line between styles. I'd enter in both and see what the judges have to say. Use that as a baseline for future years. Hope it turns out well! Are you also an Indiana based brewer?

yes I'm in Greenwood

Zombie Dust is bitter? Wait what?

it’s a 5.2% 50 IBUs beer that’s not heavily dry hopped. That’s a pale ale or should be. 90% of consumers would think so... your average beer judge probably not.

Back