Zero yeast beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I outlined in my process, we are targeting specific parameters to reach a specific goal: a non alcoholic beer that tastes like beer.

I guess you need to provide more details on "your process". Can you provide a recipe that has produced a <0.5% ABV beer fermented with US-05? The only thing that stands out as something to limit attenuation is "Mash warm. Nothing crazy but say high 150s F." Are you talking 159.9F? Even at that mash temp, it is hard for me to imagine a yeast like US-05 only getting 23% attenuation.

Now that I have your attention...

I'm looking to brew a non alcoholic "beer". I'm not looking to debate semantics or definitions of beer. Just go with it.

Pregnant wife, curiosity, desire to drink good "beer" and be productive at work (self employed), driving through the country with a cold one sounds nice too. Don't overthink it.

My initial plan was to just not pitch yeast. Go through a regular brew day and go straight to keg after chilling with ice or more time on the plate chiller. Then quick carb (Blichman) and drink up. Tell me what I'm missing. I imagine any flavors imparted during fermentation would get wrecked by an alcohol boil off anyway.

Anybody want to talk me out of it before I waste a few hours on a weekend?

Wife wants a NA Pacifico clone. So I'm basically working with a barley/corn grain bill. Intending to do something more creative after this batch. I may brew an "IPA" day 1 as well.

Again I know beer must have yeast to be defined as beer. I'm just interested in taste notes and advice. Call it a barley fizzy tea if you'd like.
If you can pull a vacuum on your keg and heat it to boiling under 100C/212F, you can drive off the alcohol without removing the volatile compounds that give it beery characteristics.
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=97195&section=_unit5.3.2.3

Last edited:
I have experience and can help here. First choose a yeast that stops at a consistent known gravity for you. For example US05 consistently stops at 1.010, 34/70 at 1.008 (with my process/system, your results may vary). Target your typical mash ph with salts/acid. Acidify ALL sparge water to 5.2 to avoid extracting tannins in the sparge.
A .003 drop in SG points comes out to an abv of about 3.9% (by law, .5% abv and lower is considered non alcoholic beer). With the knowledge that US05 stops like clockwork for me at 1.010, I would target an SG of 1.013 (1.013-1.010=.003=.39% abv). Adjust accordingly for yeast strain of your choice.

A few other tips:
1. Keep the BU:GU ratio around .5 to .6, using your brewing software to calculate this. With such a low gravity beer, bitterness goes a long way.
2. Mash warm. Nothing crazy but say high 150s F.
3. Super important about watching your PH (see above). This will be a shockingly small mash with an alarming amount of sparge water. Relax and trust the process.
4. Keg, force carb and keep cold. Serve on freshly cleaned tap/lines. I know NA beers are prone to infection/spoilage. That is why you rarely find them on tap. I have had them last for months with this process without any issues whatsoever.
5. I have done side by side comparisons with other NA yeasts with a panel of tasters. Nothing super scientific, no triangle tests or anything. But real brewers yeast and a slight bit of fermentation seemed to produce the best results. I’m guessing the yeast produces the fermentation byproducts, lowers the ph, and adds a tiny amount of alcohol so that it tastes more like regular beer. It will still taste just the slightest bit like wort. But this gave me much better results than the LA-01 yeast mentioned above. Yes there will be .39% abv, but as long as your wife doesn’t down the whole keg in one sitting, I’m pretty sure it will be fine.
6. If anyone has any further questions, I’ll try to help. Good luck.

I guess you need to provide more details on "your process". Can you provide a recipe that has produced a <0.5% ABV beer fermented with US-05? The only thing that stands out as something to limit attenuation is "Mash warm. Nothing crazy but say high 150s F." Are you talking 159.9F? Even at that mash temp, it is hard for me to imagine a yeast like US-05 only getting 23% attenuation.
I brewed about ten test batches for work over the dead of this past winter. I brew outdoors. I targeted a mash temp of 158. But I mash in an insulated stainless mash tun so I don’t have the ability to heat it to maintain temps. With such a small amount of grain in a 15 gallon mash tun and below freezing temps, it dropped to about 142 by the end of the mash. Sparged with 168F water adjusted to a ph of 5.2. One hour boil. Chill as normal. Rack to fermentor and pitch yeast. All basically the same process as brewing regular beer other than mashing at a higher temp and closely watching your ph.
I think everyone is getting hung up on attenuation figures. And telling me that I don’t know what I am talking about. Just because a yeast is stated as having 75% attenuation, doesn’t mean it automatically consumes 75% of whatever your starting gravity number happens to be. I’m sorry but that’s not the way it works. In this situation we are creating a very weak wort with a very limited amount of fermentable sugar and a small amount of unfermentables. In all my batches I did with 05, I hit my SG of 1.013 and my FG of 1.010. Since these were tests for a commercial product, which would have to strictly meet the sub .5% abv, my backup plan was to dilute with water. Luckily I did not have to do so.
If we would have gone beyond testing and actually packaged this product to sit on a shelf warm, I’m not sure I would trust it to be shelf stable in a can sitting warm on a shelf somewhere. I would think you would need to sulfite/sorbate it or chemically stabilize it somehow. Or pasteurize it. But keeping it cold in a keg worked for as long as it was around.
If you are genuinely interested, I can provide a recipe. I didn’t exactly just come up with all this completely on my own. My boss asked me to test out some NA beer, so I did some research and this is how I approached the task and it worked for me.
People seemed to like it if they got a free sample but they didn’t want to pay for it. Not in our rural market anyway. “There’s no booze in this? Then why would I pay you for it?”
I am a little put off from some of the attitude I have gotten from a couple people on this thread. I mean there was one guy with zero interest in making an NA beer, but he felt the need to chime in and tell me how I don’t know what I am talking about, and I don’t know how yeast works, “science” doesn’t back up my claims etc. So basically nothing positive to contribute to the thread, just popping in to call me an a$$hole and feel good about himself.
I may not have a PHD in microbiology, but I do work with yeast every day in my day job for the last 10 years and by chance noticed some patterns. I also wrangle wild yeasts and bacteria and maintain a home yeast library. I brew on the weekends, constantly trying to perfect things. So I’m not the end all be all of yeast, but I have a pretty solid understanding of the subject. End rant.

Very basic all Citra NA IPA recipe 12 gallons:
6lbs Pilsner malt
Mash 60 minutes at 158F
Boil 60 minutes
1.25 oz Citra @ Flameout
Whirlpool 15 minutes and chill
2 packs US05
Ferment 5 days @68F
Soft crash to 50F
8oz Citra dry hop for 3 days
Cold crash, then keg/fine carbonate
Keep cold!
SG 1.103
FG 1.010
IBUS 7.6 (trust me it is plenty bitter for an NA IPA)
Bitterness ratio .583

*adjust accordingly for your system/batch size. Please see earlier post and remember to mind the ph of your water.

OP, I'd have serious worries about spoilage if you go with your original plan and don't consume everything within a week or so. Not infection in the way we usually discuss, but spoilage. The thing that could give someone food poisoning and make them very ill.

duel accepted! i will see who gets to maintain their honor! i am going into this 1 gallon brew, shooting for 1.013...damn the pack of us-05 set me back $6!

my guess, "i'll get something around FG .998, and a ABV of 1.5-2% ABV"

(yes i included the quotes, so if i lose this bet you can have bragging rights!)

@bracconiere Label Peelers has good prices on dry yeast packs and free slow envelope shipping on them:
https://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/beer-yeast/fermentis/safale-us-05-dry-ale-yeast/

@bracconiere Label Peelers has good prices on dry yeast packs and free slow envelope shipping on them:
https://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/beer-yeast/fermentis/safale-us-05-dry-ale-yeast/

i saw that, but want to know if a wort of 1.013, will ferment out with a FG of like it started at 1.060, as fast as possible because it intrigues me...i just don't see where all the dextrins are going to come from in the mash....(i think that's the right word for the unfermentable sugars produced during mashing...)

But that's what i'm having fun with here...i've been proven wrong many times in my life! this is one of those times i have to resist foreign weird stuff, and see it for myself....(or not)

It doesn't affect us home-brewers, but here is an article about industry thoughts on the NA issue.

https://www.probrewer.com/beverage-industry-news/considerations-in-brewing-non-alcoholic-beer/
They mention .5% or less in the article and that makes me think of the Volstead Act and prohibition, when a number of breweries survived by producing “near beer” which had to be .5% or less. That was in the late 1920s and early 1930s and they were doing it then. So how were they doing it that we would have any problem doing it today?

For those that have done distilling, how does the heating process affect the flavors in the NA beer leftover?
I’ve never distilled anything at home but I read alot about it and always thought one day I’d like to try it. 😀

Things that are distilled are called a wash. Usually a fermented mix of corn and water or molasses and water or the like. About the closest thing to beer would be Irish Whiskey which is distilled from a mash of barley. But hops are not used in the wash. After the wash is distilled and the alcohol is taken out of it, the stuff that is left in the still is called dunder. It is thrown away or sometimes a small percentage of it is saved and used for flavor in the next batch. It’s not anything people save or drink.

Knowing what happens to hopped beer when it is heated, at best I’d imagine you’d get a skunk flavor. Or maybe something worse. I just can’t see where anybody would want to drink beer that has been boiled after its finished fermenting. I know heat is one way to remove alcohol, the idea being that alcohol boils off at a temp lower than water, but I just can’t see anything good coming from that. At least with what we can do on a homebrew scale.

I’ve never distilled anything at home but I read alot about it and always thought one day I’d like to try it. 😀

Things that are distilled are called a wash. Usually a fermented mix of corn and water or molasses and water or the like. About the closest thing to beer would be Irish Whiskey which is distilled from a mash of barley. But hops are not used in the wash. After the wash is distilled and the alcohol is taken out of it, the stuff that is left in the still is called dunder. It is thrown away or sometimes a small percentage of it is saved and used for flavor in the next batch. It’s not anything people save or drink.

Knowing what happens to hopped beer when it is heated, at best I’d imagine you’d get a skunk flavor. Or maybe something worse. I just can’t see where anybody would want to drink beer that has been boiled after its finished fermenting. I know heat is one way to remove alcohol, the idea being that alcohol boils off at a temp lower than water, but I just can’t see anything good coming from that. At least with what we can do on a homebrew scale.

I've never distilled anything either but wouldn't the distillation process work at lower temperatures than that? If you boil the beer the water will evaporate too so presumably you'll want to keep the temp around 80C.
It would be interesting to see whether heated beer would have the same problems as you might expect from boiled beer.

and see it for myself....(or not)
I hope you, or someone, does try it. It'd be very interesting. That said, someone HAS tried it, and given their results. But we could use another tester to back it up :)

Competing theories... Yeast will attenuate a given percentage or yeast will attenuate to a point (loosely speaking of course, no one expects exactness, but the 2 results should be pretty discernable from each other). Who knows? I don't. But I could believe that yeast will go to a gravity level (let's say 1.010) and then give up. Maybe they are lazy like that?

I hope you, or someone, does try it. It'd be very interesting. That said, someone HAS tried it, and given their results. But we could use another tester to back it up :)

Competing theories... Yeast will attenuate a given percentage or yeast will attenuate to a point (loosely speaking of course, no one expects exactness, but the 2 results should be pretty discernable from each other). Who knows? I don't. But I could believe that yeast will go to a gravity level (let's say 1.010) and then give up. Maybe they are lazy like that?

honestly, i was just reading about someone in iran making alcoholic beer from NA beer...and with the little malt it would take to make a 10 gallon batch of 1.013 wort.. probably cost the same as, or maybe even cheaper, then using wheat germ to ferment sugar water? could kill two birds with one experiment!

I could make NA beer, just to make it alcoholic! if it actually works, maybe my new goto. of course, i'd have to add gluco to get it to go dry, for calories and all ;) :mug:

I think @bracconiere referenced this, but in a session-strength beer, one mashes at a higher temp in order to create body from unfermented sugars, so the yeast stopping at say 1.010 isn't because they poop out, but because the remainder can't be digested. In this circumstance, going for a 1.013 wort that then ferments down to 1.010 makes sense. The trick, I guess, is limiting the enzymatic reaction and leaving long-chain starches and sugars that S-05 (or whatever yeast) can't eat.

As mentioned in the above recipe, another concern with low-alcohol, low-malt brewing, would be the perceived bitterness. But it might have enough malt flavor to make the beer more than just hop water? Still interested in this experiment.

(my guess of 0.998, isn't what beersmith is telling me. being i thought to check, it says 1.003.. 1.2% ABV)

Back