Zero IBU Neipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
Just finished a Neipa and whirlpooled some hops based on brewfather a giving me high 30s IBUs. Then dry hopped with over 2oz per gallon and came ou more hitter than I would like

doing some research and some articles j dicate sry hopping add IBUs. I then found some “zero” IBU articles and found it interesting. Thought about doing another Neipa and only adding dry hops in amount of 2.5-3oz per gallon

anyone try this?

Whirlpooling hops will still add bitterness, and depending on hops ( AA% ), temeprature and duration, you can extract enough to make your NEIPA more bitter than you wanted. Also, dry hopping does add some " perceived " bitterness - in the past, it was thought that dry hopping does not add bitterness, but it actually does, though it is not the same isomerised kind of bitterness ( compared to bitterness extracted during boil and higher temperatures ). You can however encounter other things with NEIPA, like hop/yeast bite, green vegetal matter flavours, from too much dry hopping and a process, which leaves too much poliphenols in suspension.

FWIW, here's my own formula for IBUs including post boil hot whirlpool (a.k.a, hop stand), based on my experience. If nothing else you might find this useful as an independent cross-check compared to other calculators.

IBU = oz * AA% * [sqrt(5*Boiltime)/V + sqrt(2*HStime)/V]

where most of the stuff in the formula is obvious, V = post-boil volume in gallons, and
Boiltime and HStime (Hop Stand time) need to be entered in minutes of course.
This simplification works best for worts of "normal" specific gravity of about 1.050-1.060, and warm temperatures >150 F -ish.
At higher gravity (e.g., >1.080), change the sqrt 5 to a 4 instead, and sqrt 2 to 1.5.
At low gravity (e.g., 1.035-1.040), change the 5 to a 6, and the 2 to 2.5.

Perma-reference link: https://live.staticflickr.com/7891/45991029004_df99d89bc1_o.png

I have not looked into the perceived bitterness from non-isomerized alpha, beta, or hop oils. I know these compounds are bitter, but probably extremely difficult to quantify. If memory serves, much of this type of bitterness probably comes from beta acids, and good luck finding much info on beta.

Back