Your story with your wife or SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tell it. Did you meet at a strip joint? Were you hitched at age 5? Did your best friend date her/his best friend? There's a story, tell it.

I met my wife at the age of 4, she was 2. We didn’t fall in love then…we had no contact again for 15 years. I thought nothing of her for those 15 years; I assume she thought nothing of me. I knew her family, she knew mine. And so it went for more than a decade.

I was a senior in high school, she was a sophomore. I barely knew she existed. I had a crush on some other girl in her class. She declared her love to me without knowing the first thing about me…I thought she was a child. Because I knew she was interested and I didn’t have anyone else lined up, I asked her to my prom. We hit it off but she was a kid, to me, and I dropped her off and went out with my friends.
We began to date but it was loose. I went off to college and she tried to make it work…but I was too “sophisticated”. I felt like I gave in when we were exclusive. She was a goofy kid and I was a college guy who should be pulling ass from every direction. But we spent a lot of time together and she became like family to me. I started to understand that my feelings for her were a bit more complicated than my bull**** crushes.

She graduated high school and went off to a different college than me. We maintained a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship for a year or so, but I felt she was losing interest in it. It was clear to me things had shifted and it killed me to think I was losing her, but she was really gone by then. We had been together for 4-5 years but things were going sideways.

There was some ugliness as it ended and even more as we were forced to deal with each other (her 12 year old sister, who I adored, died in a car accident…she started dating a friend of mine who I lost contact with, etc.)
We never had animosity towards each other but we drifted apart to the point where 4-5 years passed with us barely speaking. I moved to a different state (went to Chicago) and started law school. She graduated from college and went back to our tiny hometown. We were as far from one another as two people could be.

But I had a problem. She was the benchmark for a relationship for me. Nobody ever measured up. I had girlfriends but they didn’t do x like Alison or y like Alison. I knew I loved her and that any other girl I ended up with would be “close enough”…but I had no choice, I lived in a different world than her. And I dated girls knowing this.

So, after years of nearly no contact with her, I was invited to my friend’s wedding, knowing that she would be there, too. I volunteered to drive my group because I didn’t want to make a scene and wanted to be sober (after 4 years, it seemed stupid but…). She took the opposite tact and was drunk (she would later admit because she was scared to see me). We eventually met up at an after party event and agreed we had to talk when we were both sober because there were “things unsaid” that needed to be said.

That interaction led to a weekly telephone conversation, which led to me writing a letter to tell her that I wanted her in my life in whatever capacity she would allow.

Within weeks of that letter, we were a “thing” again. Within a year of that letter, I moved back to Michigan and we were married. We now have 3 kids, 2 dogs and no intention of ever being apart again.

See, I’m looking for bullsh!t stories like that.

I was 5 months out of college in 2001, had just moved to the Bay Area, and as a Midwestern boy, was hoping to "sow my wild oats" as a hotshot young engineer in Silicon Valley.

One Saturday night, I was out with my buddies at the Mission Ale House (now closed?) in Downtown San Jose. We were sitting out on the patio having some drinks, and two girls and a guy ended up grabbing the table next to us.

I noticed that one of the girls was pretty cute, but gave no thought to it as I figured she was probably there "with" the guy.

A few hours later, I'm waiting in the bathroom line (yes, this bar is one of the few I've seen where even the men's bathroom had a line) and start chatting with the guy from that table. Turns out we worked in the same industry, and had a few minutes to talk shop, when he volunteers "you know that the girl I'm here with was totally checking you out, right?" Uhh, no, buddy, I thought she was here with you? I guess not. So now my mind starts going into overdrive about how I'm going to overcome my natural shyness and strike up a conversation.

Leaving the restroom, heading back to my table, she stops me (didn't even know about my conversation with her friend) and says "Oh my god, can I tell you that you are SO hot?" -- Clearly she was pretty drunk! Being the flustered engineer that I am, I stammered out something along the lines of "Yeah, and you're pretty darn cute yourself!" (Yeah, I was drunk too...)

Well, we sat down, talked for a few hours over a few drinks, got her number, and after 2 days (I couldn't wait the Swingers-approved 3 days) invited her out for drinks the next weekend.

Well, within a few weeks we were officially dating, just barely a year in to the relationship we were engaged, and we were married within the first two years. It's been nearly 11 years since the wedding, we have 3 kids and a great life, and I still look good to her (when she drinks).

Married 11 years, been together for 14.

We met over the internet and discovered that we knew about 40 of the same people. Somehow we had been mixing in the same circles for 5 years and had never bumped into each other.

I was about 1 month out of the army and not coping well with civilian life so I had a bit of a drinking problem. I was hanging out with a friend and he wanted to go and meet this girl to try and hook up with her. He bribed me into going by telling me there would be free booze there because he wanted me to wing man for him. So we went and the girl he was trying to hook up with wound up being way out of his league. She quickly dismissed him and decided she wanted to spend time with me. Still to this day couldnt understand why. I was a drunk and completely scarred up from neck down due to a car bomb and I was walking with a cane like some old man. But we got to chatting went on a few dates, fooled around a bit and I decided I wanted to go steady with her. She had one condition though and that was that I had to get my drinking under control. So I did and we got married a little while later and we have 2 awesome boys.

Could say she saved my life, I now only ever drink about 3 beers in a sitting. Still don't know why she puts up with me though as I came with a lot of baggage. Body is screwed up and I do have occasional relapses of the mind in which I become like I was when at war. She is a great woman and I am lucky to have her.

I had moved to St. Louis, MO, from Fargo, ND, (with a buddy from high school who I hadn't seen in over five years prior) and, because I was bored, decided to go to culinary school. Ended up meeting her and basically stole her away from her husband at the time. Normally, I would have felt bad, but the guy was a complete @$$hole who only cared about himself. Been together and happily married since, and even have a little one running around the house now.

I was a freshman in high school hanging out at the mall with some friends who had just challenged me to see how many gummy bears I could fit in my mouth. She was dating one of the other guys and showed up to meet him just as I had crammed so many gummy bears into my mouth I couldn't close it and drool was running down my face like a faucet. I couldn't talk or chew, and I didn't want to spit them on the floor, so this went on for quite a while with me standing around slobbering all over myself until I managed to swallow most of them whole.

The gummy bear incident was so fun that I then proceeded to do the same thing with McDonald's hamburgers, which led to me puking up the craziest looking vomit I've ever seen. It was a multi-colored mixture of half-chewed hamburger and whole gummy bears that kind of looked like a Jackson Pollock painting. So that's how I made my first impression on my future wife.

Then after that at school her boyfriend would mostly neglect her and spend all his free time in the computer lab. Her and I would often be sitting around together waiting for him, and she would pass the time by braiding my hair (I had long hair, and still do, and she still likes to braid it). They were technically still "dating" so I tried not to flirt too much, but they literally never actually spent any time together, so I didn't feel too bad when they broke up and I swooped in.

After high school our story goes much the same as the OP's with us going separate ways for a few years, and me always feeling like no one else could measure up to her. Then one year she called my parents house on Christmas, because she still remembered their number and it was the only time she knew I would be there, and the rest is history.

I met my wife at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan. My little school was playing for the state championship football and even though I was a couple of years out of school I went because my best friends (brothers) were going to cheer on the team. I need to specifically point out that my one best friend was REALLY only going because he was hot for this girl from a nearby town that he worked with. And SHE was only going because her best friend was dating a boy who played for my old school.

Anyway, it wasn't really love at first sight (She had the ugliest coat I've ever seen) but this chick my friend was hot for turned out to be the woman I married. We hung out here and there and he was devastated when he found out that she liked me, but after a few hours of punching and kicking things he was ok. The night he found out I was driving up to see her in an ice storm. We went to her house and and discovered a few odd things:

Her dad's name is Chuck. I had a plant I named Chuck (I have no idea why I'd ever name a plant, which makes it all the stranger!)
Her mom's name is Joleen. I had a Gerbil named Joleen.
My dog's name was Christine. My wife's name is Kristina

From the moment I met her family I felt like I had known them all of my life. Her whole family has issues like everyone else, but I love them all.

I was in my first junior year of college. She was in one of my classes and I liked her boobs. I wanted to see more of them. One of my fraternity brothers was in the same class as us, and he knew her but for some reason wouldn't introduce us. Probably because I kept mentioning her boobs. Then on Fat Tuesday I was out at Old Chicago's with another guy from my house and his girlfriend, who happened to be Boobs McGee's sorority sister. She walked in and I mentioned to her sister that I really wanted to see her boobs. JD was cool and knew I wasn't as sleazy as I sounded at that moment, so she introduced us. We hung out the rest of the night.

Now here is where she got me. I obviously had a physical attraction, but on our first date she cooked dinner for me. Chicken picata, angel hair pasta, and asparagus. Went home that evening and told my buddy that this girl could burn, and that she was sticking around for a while.

We'll be married for 11 years next month, 2 boys, 2 dogs, and a god for saken cat. Her boobs still look great to me, even with me tugging on them for the last 13 years.

Now that's a love story.

My story isn't particularly interesting.

I was coming out of a painful divorce after being married for 16 years to a guy who was pretty much a jerk. I had a couple of great young kids, and while I wanted to date again I did NOT want any sort of permanent relationship or marriage ever again.

On our first date, I really liked Bob but I told him straight out that I was "happy to date people, but I was never ****ing getting married again". If he was ok with that, we could see each other but I'd never give up control of my life ever again and loved living alone (with my kids). I hated the idea of losing any sort of independence or being controlled by anyone.

He sort of blinked at my adamant use of the "f word" but said that he wasn't sure he wanted to ever get married again either.

A couple of years after that, we were living together and had bought a house. I kept a portion of money from the sale of my other house in the bank and called it "my running away money", so that I wouldn't feel trapped.

We got married about a year after that. About 3 years later, I told Bob I wanted a new truck and I would write a check for it out of my "running away money".

That sounds incredibly weird to others I know, but I had been emotionally, spiritually, and financially trapped in my first marriage and I needed the security of being in a relationship because we wanted to- and not because we had to for financial reasons. Bob just had enough faith in our relationship that he didn't feel insecure by me holding onto a large sum of money just to feel "safe". He said he wanted me in the relationship because I wanted do be there, not because I was trapped.

That was 2 trucks ago, by the way. :D The kids are grown and gone, and we have two grandsons. He's not biologically the grandfather, but I don't think the kids even remember that.

My wife is the Sister of my ex wife's cousins wife. Cousin can't stand my ex, and he and his wife invited me to a cook out with the sole purpose of hooking me up with my (now) wife. They wanted us to go out with each other to piss my ex off, and boy did it ever, but I knew the moment I met this woman I was in deep trouble. I'd been telling everybody I'd never get married again, but when I saw my future wife for the first time, I was absolutely helpless. We went out on a date the following weekend, moved in together within 3 months, and were married in 6 months. That was almost 9 years ago, and we have not spent a day apart since then.

Met mine over a dead body. Anatomy lab at UNM. 28 years ago. She didn't eat chicken for a whole year because it was the same color as um pickled people. Talk about a conversation stopper when somebody asks how you met and you reply, "over a dead body".

Met my wife at a Christmas barracks party on yongsan army post in Seoul, Korea Christmas Eve 2002. We were both military and actually lived in the same barracks building but I worked nigh shifts and we had never seen each other. We started dating that night and were married November 11, 2003. Our oldest son was born in Korea September 2004 and we both got out of military and moved to Alaska in 2006. Our second son was born march 2007 and we have been happily married and enjoying our marriage, raising our sons, and living the Alaska life

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

met her on the internet.... surprisingly since i am "hunting and pecking" this post. we moved in together a year and a half later and two years after that we are staring our wedding in the face. I could not have got more lucky than i currently am. She is way more than my better half... idk why she even said yes but ill take it.

Met her on the street corner...no joke. I was working part time for the local police department at our annual festival and her friend came up grabbed onto me and said she wanted to molest me! Well she was drunk and went on to talk to somebody else so I started talking to her friend (my wife now) and then we went our separate ways but in talking I realized I worked at my full time job with her cousin. So I asked her cousin for the friends number (hey she wanted to molest me!) but turns out she was getting married later that year so I got her cousin's number as a "consolation" (even when my wife tells the story that's how it goes).

So we started talking, started dating later that year. Fast forward 2 years later to the same festival, same night, just after kicking everybody out of the bars. She was about to head home and I proposed in the middle of main highway going through town (my last official act as a police officer before "retiring"). We got married later that fall. Been together 4 years, married 1.5

Well, we are not married, but I plan on it soon. High school sweethearts hah! met her in spanish class... Been together for almost 8 years now, no breaks or any of that ****...

Flash back almost 52 years to 1st grade,first day. Got in trouble with the nun (catholic school) for something & my now wife in the row to my left & back a few desks immedietly stood up for me. So we both wound up in the office. Several times again in high school. Anyway,my buddies got to ranking me all the time at the lunch table. I said to myself "F this!" & looking around,I saw that same cute little French Hungarian girl sitting at a table all alone. I grabbed my tray & headed over to ask if I could sit with her. She said yes & we became an item from then on.
During forth grade,we were like the only 2 dumb enough to show for school one rainy,very icy winter's day getting close to spring. Her crochetted gloves were soaked & she stood there alone,sobbing painfully. Well friends,that day she stole my heart. I let her wear these leather,rabbit fur lined gloves While I walked her home. Her mother took her to the kitchen to run her hands under warm water. I remember speaking to her dad as he gave my gloves back. I walked home,finding out he was the photographer for class pics.
At the end of 4th grade,pop moved us to a 114 acre piece of land on a mountain top with a house pegged together out of white oak in 1853. It was in Harmony Township,PA. I was mad as all get out that he took me away from her & my friends. Mostly her. I remember not knowing what love was then. But I knew how I felt about her.
We moved back to Elyria & when I was attending Northwood jr high I saw her walking home on the other side of the street from Elyria Catholic. I never had the nerve to run across the street & talk to her. Tried to yell after her to ask her to the prom my senior year. She just kept going,so I figured she wasn't interested.
Then by August of that year,she & another former classmate girlfriend of hers drove into my alley in a super beetle while me & a buddy sat on the back bumper I made for his 1953 beetle. She got out & asked for my Brother,I think it was. I asked if she was (by name) that girl from St Mary's I used to have lunch with. She said that was her name,asking how I knew. I reminded her of the lunch thing. She said,with a big smile,that she remembered that. Hot damn,I'm in! She was wearing hip huggers & this powder blue crochetted halter top,no bra. She held her hands behind her back,asking me," see something you like,Mr?" "Yes m'am!" I said with a smile,kind of embarassed. After a misunderstanding of events on the day that was to be our first date,I asked if she'd still go out with me. She did & since we could drink 3.2% beer at 18 in those days,we had fun. She wouldn't give it up till a few dates in. But I reminded her of that cold rainy day & how I felt then & still did. We dated for two years,apart only one day in that time. We've been together for 37 years this August,with 6 kids,a few houses & pets gone by. I always said to her we were more like soulmates & why. She agreed with that one...:mug:

My story isn't particularly interesting.

I was coming out of a painful divorce after being married for 16 years to a guy who was pretty much a jerk. I had a couple of great young kids, and while I wanted to date again I did NOT want any sort of permanent relationship or marriage ever again.

On our first date, I really liked Bob but I told him straight out that I was "happy to date people, but I was never ****ing getting married again". If he was ok with that, we could see each other but I'd never give up control of my life ever again and loved living alone (with my kids). I hated the idea of losing any sort of independence or being controlled by anyone.

He sort of blinked at my adamant use of the "f word" but said that he wasn't sure he wanted to ever get married again either.

A couple of years after that, we were living together and had bought a house. I kept a portion of money from the sale of my other house in the bank and called it "my running away money", so that I wouldn't feel trapped.

We got married about a year after that. About 3 years later, I told Bob I wanted a new truck and I would write a check for it out of my "running away money".

That sounds incredibly weird to others I know, but I had been emotionally, spiritually, and financially trapped in my first marriage and I needed the security of being in a relationship because we wanted to- and not because we had to for financial reasons. Bob just had enough faith in our relationship that he didn't feel insecure by me holding onto a large sum of money just to feel "safe". He said he wanted me in the relationship because I wanted do be there, not because I was trapped.

That was 2 trucks ago, by the way. :D The kids are grown and gone, and we have two grandsons. He's not biologically the grandfather, but I don't think the kids even remember that.

I can't believe that I've only met you and bob once and I only remember the first 2 hours of that. It feels like I know you a lot better.

The first time I met my wife was in July 1991, One of her friends was dating a friend of mine and they wanted to set us up. I knew she was the right girl for me from the moment we met, She had a different opinion. After 4 months of stalking her and begging she still wouldn't go on a date with me. In December 1991 she foolishly thought she was smarter than I was, and a bet was made. My prize for winning said bet was a date and the rest is history. More than 22 years later and I still can't imagine my life without her and our three amazing kids.

The first time I met my wife was in July 1991, One of her friends was dating a friend of mine and they wanted to set us up. I knew she was the right girl for me from the moment we met, She had a different opinion. After 4 months of stalking her and begging she still wouldn't go on a date with me. In December 1991 she foolishly thought she was smarter than I was, and a bet was made. My prize for winning said bet was a date and the rest is history. More than 22 years later and I still can't imagine my life without her and our three amazing kids.

I'm kinda curious as to just what the bet was.
Regards, GF.

My wife and I met at karaoke in a large town, so there was a relative regular crew who rotated among the various venues. We met somewhere around late spring/early summer. We both thought the other came off as stuck up/aloof at the time. Couple months later, we wound up playing darts with mutual friends and she had a few drinks so told me to "tell her my story". Well, we wound up having a lot in common but she was seeing somebody at the time. A while later, they were about to split and we were again playing darts again. I made an offhand comment about needing a new set of darts because my shaft was too long. She replied with, "most guys don't complain about that." We had a laugh and I asked her why she didn't dump the guy she was with and come to the Halloween party with me. Couple days later, she did and did. We dated for a couple months. I proposed on Christmas and we got married at the beginning of February. Still married 18 years later.

We were each other's first and only serious relationship. We met in high school, on the Academic Team.

Why yes, we are huge dorks.

Back