Your favorite type of drinking glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's favorite glass is and why?

Personally I like my beer mug as it'll hold 24 oz. Its thick sturdy glass with a nice handle. Pint glasses are fine mainly just good because they are cheap and stackable.
Aside from that though i do not own any other beer glasses.
Unless i go to a fancy craft beer bar i don't use anything else.

I bowed to peer pressure and got the Spiegelau IPA glass- can't say I like it- I hate how the beer has to cascade over the "handle" up into the tulip-

My favorite is probably a standard tulip glass-

My usual drinking vessel is a 20oz heavy glass mug. On special occasions I use a masskrug. Shots of course go in shot glasses, most everything else goes into a pint or quart mason jar. Hot liquids go into coffee cups. Things aren't too fancy at my house.
Regards, GF.

I have at least 5 favorite glasses (including the Spiegelau). They all have their purpose, but they are also all a variation of a tulip glass...except the one on the left, it's just a small pint glass but I really like it because a lot of times I just want a few sips of beer and it's perfect for that. To each his own but I just like the way a "fancy" glass feels. It may or may not actually make the beer better but I feel like a good beer deserves a good glass. Save the pint glasses for BMC

20150101_082446.jpg

Lately I've been using a pilsner glass for everything. It seems to give a little more carbonation. I also use pint glasses and tulips, depending on my mood and what style of beer I am drinking. Then there are times I don't really care....just grab the first clean glass I see.

If I'm just going to have a couple of the same thing I'll make an effort to select the "right" glass for the occasion. If I'm in a mood to mix it up or not really caring the "standard pint" style glass is my go-to. 12 or 16 oz but the shape is the question is it not?

If it's party time and I'm not in the mood for walking to the beer fridge it's time to break out one of the 24oz glass or 32oz ceramic steins. Otherwise I tend to get into too much trouble left to my own devices. We've all been there.

Thistle glasses in place of tulip glasses at my place on account of being on sale and fancy gold rimmed. For the aromatic beers, they serve the purpose well. And a few less fancy people I've had over tend to look at the glass they receive (full of course, I'm a proper host) and wonder what is with the funky shape.

I've always viewed brewing as a hobby, and having a medium sized cabinet full of glassware as being a collection that goes alongside it. Now I look at it as justification for being a bit of a beer snob / connoisseur.

Im a big fan of tulip glasses, and even tho I dont have any of the Teku, im dreaming of getting a set soon. Those are sexy!

Never seen any point in fancy glasses. Just got a case of restaurant pint glasses so at mine match, though.

Sounds like the tulip glass is the most popular.
Maybe i should get some of them.
I figure as much beer as i have made and have stocked i should get more educated on glasses and expand on them a bit.

I bought a set of six from Target for twenty bucks. It included a Pilsner, tulip, English pub, stout and porter glass, wheat glass, And another pub glass. I find myself using all of them, except the wheat glass, frequently to be honest. I generally use them for their intended style too.

A tulip glass is very nice, much like a wine glass, the stem allows you to enjoy your beer without warming excessively because you can hold the stem. Though admittedly you might look a bit of a snob due to froo-froo (yet functional) glassware.

I err towards eccentric with the horn. Though a drinking vessel made from the skull of a foe is ideal it's rather frowned upon by law enforcement these days.

drinking_horn-49758.jpg

I buy the imperial pints from my local dollar tree. For a buck they can't be beat, hold a proper pint and if a glass meets its maker it's ok, I have 20 more on deck.

That's where I get my shakers. Haven't seen imperials at mine.

I guess you can't put the horn down though huh? How much does that hold?
Can probably get a skull somewhere and cut it yourself.

As long as it's full of my favorite brew, it's my favorite glass:D
All kidding asside. I also have Pilsener type glasses and heavy glass mugs that were bought at the local dollar store. I keep the mugs in the freezer for my summer quaffers and use the pilsener glasses for the rest of my brews.

I have been using a mason jar with the emblem of the USS Miami on it. Or a pint glass or stein.

I don't know that I have a favorite, but lately I've been using a couple of 20-ish ounce "stemless wine glasses" that I bought at Dollar Tree. They'll hold a 500ml eurobottle and still have room for some foam.

My wife took the logo that's my avatar right now and put it on some half liter ikea beer glasses and gave them to me for christmas last year. It at least feels pretty cool to drink from a glass for your "brewery."

I use a imperial nonic pint. Bought a crud ton of them when Kmart was closing them out at $0.68 each. The club didn't need them, so I have approximately 30. Well, I started with 30, with attrition, we are at about 24 or so.

Nonic Pint
Tulip
Big handled mug

I use the handled mug the most. I'm not hip enough to tell a difference in a beer based on the glass. I've tried the Spiegel IPA glasses and did not notice anything, overall disliked it. I do enjoy the tulip and sticking my nose down in it for a nice whiff.

I have many different glasses my favorite though is the tulip I have two different tulips too on the left I got those for Christmas last year the came from amazon and were kind of expensive on the right I got a few of these at dollar tree a buck a piece and they are actually more well made than the expensive ones :rolleyes:

View attachment 1447290534262.jpg

I have tons of favorites.

IPA glass for IPAs, stout glass for stouts, Dogfish glass for most inbetweens and tulip/chalice for beligians.

I love beer. The Container makes a difference, but not usually enough to change my satisfaction. I most often drink out of a standard pint glass, though .5 liter mugs are often employed as well as some glasses that my wife had made for me.

A tulip glass is very nice, much like a wine glass, the stem allows you to enjoy your beer without warming excessively because you can hold the stem. Though admittedly you might look a bit of a snob due to froo-froo (yet functional) glassware.

I err towards eccentric with the horn. Though a drinking vessel made from the skull of a foe is ideal it's rather frowned upon by law enforcement these days.

drinking_horn-49758.jpg

F yeah!

Back