Tough Pilsner Glass Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to buy pilsner glasses from either Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn. Can't recall. The model name was "Melrose." Nice Eastern European crystal. But thanks to the efforts of others, all but one has been broken, and aside from that, the dishwasher etched them.

I am now interested in GLASS pilsner glasses that will hold up in the dishwasher. Something that will hold a pint of beer with a head on it. No sports logos. No personalization. I can get the fancy ones later. I don't want something really heavy, but I want them to be tougher than the super-thin crystal glasses I had.

I am thinking of getting Libbey 20-ounce glasses from a restaurant supplier.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend? I'll post a photo of the general kind of thing I want. I want this shape, more or less.
pilsner glass.JPG

I found some 20-oz. glasses that will work, but I also want 16-oz. glasses. Amazon is not helpful. They are packed with novelty glasses with slogans like, "I Like Pig Butts and I Cannot Lie," and "World's Best Dad."

Riedel through through their Spiegelau brand has very nice beer glasses specific for styles. I think they also have glasses and are designed by collaboration with "master" brewers. Kind of cool watching the videos how paired brewers shared ideas and finally settling on a design.

I worked for Owens-Illinois in the scientific division in the 70’s and they owned Libbey. Very good quality and the even make some glasses with an etched mark in the bottom to enhance bubbling.
Usually a good and durable product.

I worked for Owens-Illinois in the scientific division in the 70’s and they owned Libbey. Very good quality and the even make some glasses with an etched mark in the bottom to enhance bubbling.
Usually a good and durable product.

If I wanted 12 glasses, I would have ordered them already. Looks like it's hard to find smaller sets.

Both sets of glasses arrived. The first set is tall, with little laser engravings in the bottom to make beer bubbles come up. They're called Brimley nucleated glasses. They hold exactly 16 ounces, filled to the brim. I measured. If the nucleation things are doing anything, I can't see it, but the glasses are sturdy and look good.

The others, 19.25-ounce glasses sold under the Glaver's name, are shorter and wider, so they will be more stable. Thing is, they only hold 18 ounces, so they're not much different from the others. I thought I was getting 3.25 more ounces, which would make for bigger servings or significantly more room for foam, but I only got 2 more ounces.

If I had it to do again, I would get the Glaver's glasses simply because they are harder for people to knock over.

Back