Your Favorite Czech Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciliorozo

Reaction score
Hey Guys I am heading to Oktoberfest in a few weeks and will be stopping in Prague for a few days while I am so close to it. So I was wondering what is your favorite Czech beer? This way I know what I need to try. Thanks!

Cheers :mug:

I'd try a Staropramen too - has a good rep but it seems to be kind of rare in the states.

Urquell is everywhere in Prague. Ask for a beer (pivo) and you are likely to get a 500ml pint of Urquell in a dimpled mug. It's delicious! Staropramen is good, as is Krusovice. Budvar is excellent on tap. Also, do stop by U Fleku for their house lager. Very, very good. Best beer bar in the city is Zly Casy IMO, in Praha 4. If they have a grodziskie (smoked wheatbeer) on tap, TRY IT!!! Pivovarsky Klub is another superb bar. Last time I was in Prague a half litre was about 65 cents, so you are sure to have a good time. :D

I went on a weeks beer drinking holiday in the Czech Republic over the summer, see if you can get hold of the 'CAMRA Good Beer Guide to Prague and the Czech Republic'. It's got all sorts of useful info in it. Try to avoid the big nasty brewers like Staropramen and Urquell - if you want to try Urquell try to find a 'tank pub' that serves it, they do a fresher unfiltered version which is a lot better than the standard stuff.

My two favourite mciro breweries from Prague were the Pivovarsky Dum and the Medved Brewery (who do an excellent beer called x-33 at 12% abv) Note that in CR beer is measured in balling - the amount of malt sugar in the beer prior to fermentation. So if you see a beer at 12% it's only really 4.5 -5%.

Also the Kvasnicove beer style is excellent, kind of like a real ale. Pretty much all the beers good though especially considering how cheap it is!

Awesome! Exactly the type of information I am looking for.

Bierhaus - a smoked wheat beer does sound interesting and I will definitely try to find that beer bar you mentioned. Man a full liter for $1.30, nice! When did you last go to Prague?

hinkhonkdonk - thanks for the suggestions I'll look for that book and try to find the Pivovarsky brewery.

I will definitely be trying as many different beers as I can find (especially if they are that cheap), I just wanted to know what you guys liked and disliked. I will report back with my findings.

Thanks for all of your help and if anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Cheers :mug:

Back