Young Beer that Tastes Great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
I see many threads that say you know if the beer tastes funny at a couple weeks or a month, let go longer like six months or a year. I'm wondering what happens if a beer that tastes great at a few days or a week goes for longer? My beer never seems to make it two weeks. Occasionally I bottle a couple not too bad I guess.

There are only a few beer types (Imperials) that improve with age, most are best young.
Anything with high hops like an IPA should be drank young as Hop bittering and aroma fades with time.
The reason why IPA was invented in the first place was because of the long journey between England and India; they doubled up the hops and by time it got to India it tasted like a regular Pale Ale.
Glass bottles are also detrimental to high hop beers, light will get through and interact with the hop oils and skunk (Heineken) the beer.
Imperials improve because the harsh alcohol flavor mellows over time. They are often high hopped to account for the bitterness loss and increased preservation, then aged in SS vessels or wooden barrels to keep light out.

I'd say depends on the style. Most of my beers are better with a little age, but I like my tropical IPA's and DIPA's as fresh as possible.

I brewed a beer yesterday to use up a bunch of left over hops. When I tasted the wort, oh crap! I like hoppy beers, but that was to much. From I read here, I may be able to just bottle it and stick in the root cellar until it improves. Am I reading that correctly?
I still need to see what it tastes like after fermentation of course.

I brewed a beer yesterday to use up a bunch of left over hops. When I tasted the wort, oh crap! I like hoppy beers, but that was to much. From I read here, I may be able to just bottle it and stick in the root cellar until it improves. Am I reading that correctly?
I still need to see what it tastes like after fermentation of course.

The harshness will mellow out quickly so it should taste different after fermentation. If it is still too bitter you can let it sit for a while and it will fade. One potential problem is that if you did any 20 minute additions the hop flavor will be amplified without the bitterness to cover it up. My 2 year old Pale Ale taste like grapefruit juice.

Most if your process is good. Good recipe, pitch healthy yeast, control temps. I brewed a bitter yesterday and will be drinking it in a couple weeks. I also kegged a maibock yesterday, my notes say to start drinking it after a month. So that is still relatively fast.

If a beer is great, drink it. The beer won't magically get better. I suggest to set a few aside to drink at different age points. Take notes.

yep, i second that. english milds can go grain to glass in 7-10days and are really good at that point.

Aging normal gravity beers is an excuse to make up for bad brewing. Good beer tastes good immediately. 2 weeks grain to glass for damn near anything under 6% and hoppy beers up to 7%. Rough guidelines but good beer will always taste good. Every day after a couple weeks will only improve melding of flavors and smoothness. But young beer should be clean and drinkable if made well. Learn how to brew and ferment and enjoy young fresh beer.

Latest posts

Back