You Yanks drive me crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Why is it that you guys havent adpoted the metric system yet. lol I dont get it and it drives me crazy every time I try and use american recipes and have to convert them into how i have my ingredients or changing them yada yada. You guys are among 3 countries in the entire world that doesnt use the metric system! jump on the band wagon guys!

Whatever. The rest of the world is crazy. Why doesn't everyone use fractions to measure crap? It's soo much easier than multiples of 10. Get with the times, sheesh.

(yes i'm kidding, and wish we would adopt the metric system)

metric is crap! i have $thousands in precision measuring equipment that reads INCH!!!

so you're working on you're cannondale. the .5 doesn't fit. so now you have a choice of .5625, .625, or .6875 not gee willikers! 11mm is too small. maybe i can try the 13, 14, 15? base 10? it's the system of communists.

Bah, that metric stuff is a fad. It'll never last.

I can just imagine watching a football game with my 354.882355 mL beer, as the quarterback makes a pass for First and 9.144.

I bet you the U.S. will one day turn out like England where we officially use the metric system, but would still measure our weights in stones (seriously, what is a stone anyway, England?).

Also, is it weird that I always convert everything into metric just to seem cooler?

I love metrics and use it every day (biologist.) However, the US tried to convert back in the 70's with disastrous results. Here's why metrics will never work in America:

1) It's too easy... and people in charge in this country can never make anything easy
2) It's the system of science (well, science actually uses SI units, but it's roughly the same) and the Southern states won't support it because science is the antithesis of religion :rolleyes:
3) Because we're 'Amuuurican' damnit and we do things our way

*sigh*

But in opposition of the football reference made before: the rest of the world uses metrics and plays soccer... but in soccer (for those of you 'Amuuuricans') the big box surrounding the goal is the 18 yard box... tradition doesn't have to be forfeited for a simpler/better/more-precise system

It's just a laziness thing I guess. It's easier to do what you already know. I remember in the early 70s America tried to change to metric. I remember being in school and them starting to teach us and telling us we were making the change and then also remember it being abandoned.

I switched to metric largely because I moved to Croatia. But man, it's just so much easier once you're used to it. It's just a matter of time until you're comfortable with the feeling of what the measurement means without having to convert it first. And recipe formulation is much easier.

edit: Didn't see you're reply, reno envy. Wrote mine, then the internet went out for 2 hours, then I posted it. Ack! So, you remember the 70s attempt too then, eh?

what i REALLY loved was when the wise guys in engineering would give me drawings in metric with tolerances of .005mm. with the conversion factor of 25.4, and i am to be +.00019in -0.

That is a wide open tolerance my work is +0 minus 1 micron .00004
Who needs metric anyways, The usa rules and the rest of the world will need to deal with it.

I was thinking about this pretty hard last night. What I finally concluded on was going cold turkey on the Imperial System. I think thats just about the only way to do it.

I teach diving, and I get a lot of Europeans so I am always switching back and forth. It is easier with the base ten. much easier say your 10 liter double tanks are filled to 200 bar and your at 40 meters and a breathing rate of 10 liters per minute at the surface How long with it take to use up the gas? I can do this in my head.
trying to explain it in imperial takes MUCH longer
I am all for it. but lets keep our mileage.

Bah, that metric stuff is a fad. It'll never last.

I can just imagine watching a football game with my 354.882355 mL beer, as the quarterback makes a pass for First and 9.144.

If we switch to metric will we still be able to call him a quarterback? Wouldn't he be like a 6.35mm back. Or a 0.635cm back?

USA! USA! USA!
We'll teach the rest of the world our system of measurement yet! Just wait!

I'm pretty sure it is some 'new age' mumbo jumbo. Actually, we seem to be stuck half way between the two worlds right now. I have to have two sets of tools.

Yeah, it's ridiculous having to have two complete sets of tools. Let's just let Imperial go already, eh? I was reading a water report the other day and instead of "ppm" they were listing the ions in grains per gallons. Egads, who the hell still uses that?

Our hospitals in this country are nearly 100% metric anyway. Most tasks of any importance are performed in metric. Switching completely actually seems like it would be easier, except for the cost in lost manufacturing infrastructure.

Really? Two other countries are still in the dark ages? I thought we were the only one!

Bottom line: it costs too much. Though a lot of industries have made the switch, it just costs too much to do it. So we plod along with inches and pounds.......

Where would the major costs be. I would guess road signs. Everything else can be phased out.

in the manufacturing side the tooling guys would just convert numbers over rather than modifying the machines I would think. Engineering... The small percent that do not already design in metric its mostly done on computers so that's a simple click of a button.(on new designs..)

Training would cost money but what else? I see the Roads being the biggest issue.

It's probably for the same reason the UK hasn't adopted the Euro.:D

Seriously, I'm all for using the metric system. I even think we should have metric time... beginning Mapriluary 100th @ 11:80.

It's probably for the same reason the UK hasn't adopted the Euro.:D

Seriously, I'm all for using the metric system. I even think we should have metric time... beginning Mapriluary 100th @ 11:80.

Why not go for a centiday earlier than that?

Where would the major costs be. I would guess road signs. Everything else can be phased out.

in the manufacturing side the tooling guys would just convert numbers over rather than modifying the machines I would think. Engineering... The small percent that do not already design in metric its mostly done on computers so that's a simple click of a button.(on new designs..)

Training would cost money but what else? I see the Roads being the biggest issue.

Jimmy Carter changed nearly every road sign in this country at one time to add km & kph. He really, really tried. Didn't stick.

You can blame the Brits, of course. The Imperial system came from Britain with the empire and the US is the only place it's stuck around - pretty weird considering that whole revolution thing.

I've always thought mankind created these measurement systems in totally the wrong places. The metric system is modern, simple common sense and makes things easier. It should have been invented in America, by Edison or Henry Ford or someone. Instead, it was invented in France. I mean, France. Completely wrong. The imperial system should have been invented in France, with it's awkward and complicated fractions and base-2 stuff you can't do on your fingers and just allows intellectuals to show off. You can tell it was never invented in America. It's all completely the wrong way around.

Why is it that you guys havent adpoted the metric system yet. lol I dont get it and it drives me crazy every time I try and use american recipes and have to convert them into how i have my ingredients or changing them yada yada. You guys are among 3 countries in the entire world that doesnt use the metric system! jump on the band wagon guys!
We like what we have and are very resistant to change. I work in highly technical fields and use different systems as the need arises. But to convert based on, "the rest of the world has done it...", will not fly here. We are a country based on non-conformity and individuality. To expect us to conform to what the rest of the world has done will further strengthen our resolve. It's just the way we are wired.... Besides, most of us have spent a lifetime of falling off the wagon, in stead of jumping on it.:drunk:

As for your specific situation, there are countless on-line converters to change measurements into anything you want them to be with little effort. I use them often to convert back and forth, based on what instrumentation is available to me at the time.

Better yet, why don't we scrap all measurement systems in the world and all go to either octal or hexadecimal at the same time?

Heck, if we're gonna' do it with measurement we might as well hit language at the same time. English is the international language of medicine and science. The entire world should conform and convert to the English language. Then we wouldn't have to translate back & forth. It would seriously simplify international transaction and eliminate errors associated with poor translation.:tank:

It's just a laziness thing I guess. It's easier to do what you already know. I remember in the early 70s America tried to change to metric. I remember being in school and them starting to teach us and telling us we were making the change and then also remember it being abandoned.

I switched to metric largely because I moved to Croatia. But man, it's just so much easier once you're used to it. It's just a matter of time until you're comfortable with the feeling of what the measurement means without having to convert it first. And recipe formulation is much easier.

edit: Didn't see you're reply, reno envy. Wrote mine, then the internet went out for 2 hours, then I posted it. Ack! So, you remember the 70s attempt too then, eh?

:off:
How is Zagreb by the way? It looks like a really nice city that I'd like to visit but I'd like to hear the point of view from someone who lives there. :off:

The worst thing about imperial apart from not being base 10 is the multitude of measurements used. Cups, quarts, teaspoons, tablespoons, fluid ounce, gills, gallons, barrels, hogsheads.

Well, if it's true that Napoleon implemented the new ideas of the metric system AND driving on the right, then I guess the US is 50/50 on taking up new concepts. I still think it's best to drive on the left though just in case there is an apocalypse and once again we need to have our sword hand ready to tackle an oncoming foe.

Metric system. I served my apprenticeship in construction in England during the time they in transition between imperial and metric. All my tape measures had both metric and imperial. I still search out those tapes even today. I will often measure something using both units......Hmmm I need a piece of 3/4" ply 16" long by 233mm wide. It's the best of both worlds when you just pick the easiest one on the tape! :)

:off:
How is Zagreb by the way? It looks like a really nice city that I'd like to visit but I'd like to hear the point of view from someone who lives there. :off:

It's okay. I like it here. But there's not a whole lot to entice people to visit. The museums pretty much suck. There aren't a lot of sights. But it's got a nice livability to it and where I live in the west, it's very green. If you come to Croatia, you should visit the sea. The sea here is amazing. Do a Google images search for Dubrovnik, Makarska, Hvar, Korcula or the like.

The worst thing about imperial apart from not being base 10 is the multitude of measurements used. Cups, quarts, teaspoons, tablespoons, fluid ounce, gills, gallons, barrels, hogsheads.

I find that to be especially true for brewing software. One minute it's in gallons, then suddenly in quarts for no apparent reason. WTF?

Whatever you use you become used to using. Why bother changing just because somebody else uses something different.

Try representing speed as furlongs per fortnight. It confused the heck out of traffic cops.:D

Really? Two other countries are still in the dark ages? I thought we were the only one!

Bottom line: it costs too much. Though a lot of industries have made the switch, it just costs too much to do it. So we plod along with inches and pounds.......

Haha yea its just you guys, Burma and Liberia that aren't on the metric system.

I like the standard system. It's what I am used to. When someone says 1 foot, I can visualize it. If someone says 5 gallons, I can visualize it.

Just the way I was taught. I like working with hand tools, so when I look at a nut or bolt, I can usually tell what size it is, if it is in standard.

I am learning metric though, because everything on the Jeep is metric. But I don't learn it the same way. I don't look at a bolt on the Jeep and see an 18mm bolt, I just remember what bolts are what size and leave it at that.

Honestly, it might be easier to be metric, but the real reason is we just don't want to change.

in the manufacturing side the tooling guys would just convert numbers over rather than modifying the machines I would think.

Uh, no. Retooling an entire industry takes $. Lots of it.

Latest posts

Back