You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rolling with the current topic.
When 2 full size beer fridges and a 4 tap keezer still aren't enough.

side note, yeah Im planning a second keezer build to put in the brewery. Current one is in the kitchen... ohhhh

You know your a home brewer when you have a 4 tap keezer in your kitchen ... and your wife is cool with it.:ban:

6 tap keezer in the dining area. Three ale and three stout faucets. Just ordered another stout faucet for when my whiskey stout is ready. The other three stout faucets have brews on them (chocolate stout, breakfast stout and old ale). So need to swap out one of the ale for a stout. ;)

Thinking I'll get this one for the can 'overflow'.
But then your relatives will see what you have and drink up all the really good stuff. ;). Short story: BIL came to visit, and he’s a Busch lite drinker,and went poo poopity on the home brew, but I offered a tasting anyway putting a few bottles of different styles in the fridge. He really liked a Belgian wit I had brewed and asked for another… sorry that’s the only one I have cold, I said, and then I thought to myself now drink that effin bud lite I bought for you. 🤣

Decided to pull the trigger on the "130 can" small fridge (instead of the 115 can) since it was $10 less. ;) Set for delivery by Tuesday of next week (free :)). So, I'm going to pause my plan to keg and can the IPA that's currently carbonating until this is in position so I can start putting homebrew cans in it. The couple of extra days of 'rest' will not change anything for the brew. So, win-win.

Decided to pull the trigger on the "130 can" small fridge (instead of the 115 can) since it was $10 less. ;) Set for delivery by Tuesday of next week (free :)). So, I'm going to pause my plan to keg and can the IPA that's currently carbonating until this is in position so I can start putting homebrew cans in it. The couple of extra days of 'rest' will not change anything for the brew. So, win-win.
Only 130...???......geez....LOL!! 🤪

Only 130...???......geez....LOL!! 🤪
Well, holds 15 more than the one that cost $10 more, so yeah... ;) Depending on the batch, I fill up to about 30 cans from a conical (after filling either a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg). That's if I don't can the entire batch, like the coming batch of hard cider.

You head into Lowe's for something non-brewing related, and you think "I could probably use one or two more buckets."

Every. Single. Time.
That is so true.... our brew area looks like it was invaded by buckets.... or there’s been some serious bucket incest...! 😆 Finally got around to changing layout/storage in brew area.....so now I can pick up more buckets....🤣

I need to get a couple of buckets. Not for brewing but to put the grain in post mash to give to the person with chickens down the road. Getting free eggs out of the deal. :D

She told me that when she gives them the grain they go ape for it, eating until they can't eat anymore. Then they lay a LOT more eggs. So a win for both of us. Free, very fresh, eggs are a wonderful thing. Beat the hell out of what's in the grocery store.

This is awesome.

If she's selling the eggs, I hope she makes billion$

I need to get a couple of buckets. Not for brewing but to put the grain in post mash to give to the person with chickens down the road. Getting free eggs out of the deal. :D

She told me that when she gives them the grain they go ape for it, eating until they can't eat anymore. Then they lay a LOT more eggs. So a win for both of us. Free, very fresh, eggs are a wonderful thing. Beat the hell out of what's in the grocery store.

How about you start designing a new brew stand to replace your perfectly functioning one because you want to switch to stainless steel for the construction. Plus get rid of all the transition marks left by the design changes over time? I'm actually doing that right now. Luckily I have a friend that's a welder, so it won't be too costly. My only real stumbling point is designing the piece that will hold the control panel. I went a bit overboard on the mild steel version (thick wall square tube, and thicker DOM tube). I don't know what thickness stainless steel to use for the job. Plus the thickness of plate needed for where it mounts to the brew stand itself.

Then there's the leveling feet mounts (pretty much got that figured out). I need to account for a three inch drop over the 5-1/2 feet that the stand will occupy. Yes, the floor in the garage/brewing area drops that much. Not 1/4" per foot, but over half an inch per foot. It actually drops three inches over five feet, so I need to factor in a larger drop. I also want this to be usable when I move where the floor isn't a stupid grade. Most likely the parts that hold the leveling feet will be bolt on to the stand. I'll need a second set for the left side of the stand, since that's where the major drop is. Thinking of going with slots in those two parts where the others will be simple holes. Or shorter slots in the normal ones and far longer in the stupid grade versions. ;)

Current design progress:
1632066102231.png

@Murph4231 I hate working with wood. Besides, it would take more to get the platform level, increasing the height overall of the stand in the process. I'd rather have the two different feet mount hardware sets. That way, once I've moved to where the floor grade isn't so horrible, I can just put the 'normal' set in place.

The design I put the picture of already has the pump mounts (bottom/middle), plate chiller mount (left long bar) and wort strainer (left end mount) in place. I'm waiting for info from Blichmann about their pro wort chiller mounting studs position (or full drawing set) so that I can figure out how to mount that as well. Since I'm thinking that I'll move to that chiller, since it's TC native, fairly soon. Probably after the new stand is finished.

BTW, IF I was to use a wood platform, it would need to be PT. With the cost of lumber (last time I looked) it would be cheaper to make the stand with the grade in mind.

Positioned the new canned homebrew fridge right next to the keezer. Instructions that came with the fridge mentioned keeping it out of the sun. Which made the other spot suboptimal (it gets morning sun).
PXL_20210919_181028382.jpg

Already put some homebrew in it. Need to label up the tall cans (English Bitter) over the next few days. Once I can up the two batches in fermenter, the cans from those will be going into the new fridge.

Thinking about flipping the door to open towards the keezer too. Flipped the door so it opens towards the keezer now (did it Sunday afternoon, after posting). Easier to get cans in and out of it now. ;)

Last edited:
I try to avoid thinking about that Sean, I certainly don't want the wife to know the cost.
My wife knows because she gives me brewing gifts and even better, gift cards. She only gets me gift cards...no stupid ties or worthless jewelry, or snazzy clothes I won't wear any way...being a country grown barbarian savage and all that. Even Valentine's I get Amazon gift cards to purchase equipment ! Now that's true love ! 😂

When you start measuring your worldly wealth by the amount of and cost of all your stainless steel equipment and how much you've paid for your hoard over the years.
I find it easier to just track what version of my brewing set up i am on.

The current E-herms rig is set up is my 4th rig and I have done 2 mods to it. So by my tracking I am now at version 4.2 now.

Given I have only been brewing for a little over 8 years now I have turned over a little more equipment that I might like (let not put a $ to it).

I find it easier to just track what version of my brewing set up i am on.

The current E-herms rig is set up is my 4th rig and I have done 2 mods to it. So by my tracking I am now at version 4.2 now.

Given I have only been brewing for a little over 8 years now I have turned over a little more equipment that I might like (let not put a $ to it).
Sooner or later I will have to part with some of my equipment. I'm the same way with my astronomy equipment. I mean is it really necessary to have to have 4 different types of telescopes ??? Plastic bins full of equipment going back 30 years. But I'm like Smaug in the Hobbit ! Loath to part with my treasures !

When you have 100plus bottles and dont plan on bottling again
I know this is old but I'll add to the OP post from 2011.

When you have 100plus bottles and don't plan on bottling again, but you still consider saving a nice heavy 1.5pt bottle (Westmalle) because it will accept a standard crown cap.

I think i have come to the conclusion that you are not a homebrewer until you have a hoarde of extra equipment.

The true test is admitting that we have a problem and starting to clear out some of that old gear. It is even better if you are actually able to find someone take it...
Never will I part with my Precious !!! Give away our Precious ? We hates it forever!!!

I love seeing the brewery setups in people's houses that look like it could be the engine room on a submarine--gadgets, gauges, meters, valve releases, etc., of which I really don't know how any of it works.
I have buckets and a hydrometer so it's great fun to see the other side of the coin. My airlock is nearly the fanciest and most complicated piece I own.

I love seeing the brewery setups in people's houses that look like it could be the engine room on a submarine--gadgets, gauges, meters, valve releases, etc., of which I really don't know how any of it works.
I have buckets and a hydrometer so it's great fun to see the other side of the coin. My airlock is nearly the fanciest and most complicated piece I own.

apparently all i did was steep some sprouted barley yesterday, strain it...and then boiled it today, and figured i add yeast to bread, "Why Not?" 🤔 in a week i'll grit and bear it giving it a taste test.....

i stopped using fancy air locks a while back.....nothing but a pitcher and tube into it.... :mug:

apparently all i did was steep some sprouted barley yesterday, strain it...and then boiled it today, and figured i add yeast to bread, "Why Not?" 🤔 in a week i'll grit and bear it giving it a taste test.....

i stopped using fancy air locks a while back.....nothing but a pitcher and tube into it....
I've seen you express knowledge all over here. False modesty...maybe?
Reading between the lines, making beer isn't that complicated.
Fancy air locks? I use them because it seems a good barrier. The first book I read on beer said use a cotton sheet and rubber band. Probably works equally well. We do know that an air lock wasn't around since the beginning.
Cheers.

The first book I read on beer said use a cotton sheet and rubber band.

you must be losing your memory. that was probably a book on kombucha... or something definitely predating O2 fear!

False modesty...maybe?

no? the only thing i'm better at is malting....and pretty sure it's just because it's easy to be #1 when there's no competition!

Back