You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_6949.JPG

When your food dehydrator is used once a year. When it’s hop harvest time. Haha

When you use one sack from your huge collection of unused hop bags to steep a fresh pot of tea for 20 minutes at less than 170 degrees F. Then you measure the specific gravity and apply the appropriate temperature correction factor, after adding some sugar, to make sure it is at the optimum sweetness.

You analyze all the brews you have ever made thus far by calculating the averages for gravity points, MCU, SRM, IBU, BU:GU values, OG, FG, and % ABV, all just to figure out what your "typical" beer would be like. And find out your result is a 1.062 OG, 1.014 FG, 6.26% ABV, medium amber in color, with a BU:GU of 0.66. Pour myself another!!

You analyze all the brews you have ever made thus far by calculating the averages for gravity points, MCU, SRM, IBU, BU:GU values, OG, FG, and % ABV, all just to figure out what your "typical" beer would be like. And find out your result is a 1.062 OG, 1.014 FG, 6.26% ABV, medium amber in color, with a BU:GU of 0.66. Pour myself another!!

You have too much time on your hands. You could have been brewing!

you're trying to figure out why beer feels better than booze....happen across an article about GMO yeast that make morphine, think damn, i'd like to do some open air wild ferments next door to that lab!

(and strangely get a weird idea to check the conductivity of your mash)

You might be a homebrewer and home mechanic when you have no qualms about using your impact wrench to take off the out post on the keg you're cleaning; mainly because it's been yonks, and also because I may have used it to put it on the last time I cleaned, which would explain why my weak-ass arms couldn't budge it. Now to get every tiny hop bit out of the keg; poppit was crammed with it, as was the dip tube. Oops.

When you help a buddy brew for his wedding and offers you his 35 gallon kettle for $40 and you are racking your brain to justify the buy....

6AA270FC-1A88-42FB-8A1A-E939A6C53509.jpeg

You could put it under a downspout and collect rain water... I couldn't imagine making batches that big for personal use.

His dad owns the local A&Ws around town. It’s what they made the root beer in before the company sold the recipe. I decided to buy it. I’m probably going to use it for my HLT. Weld in a thermal well.

Yeah, I don’t see myself making more than 10 gallons at once, and I’m set up for that already.

Told him I’d take it.

His dad owns the local A&Ws around town. It’s what they made the root beer in before the company sold the recipe. I decided to buy it. I’m probably going to use it for my HLT. Weld in a thermal well.

Yeah, I don’t see myself making more than 10 gallons at once, and I’m set up for that already.

Told him I’d take it.

Half barrel no sparge biab. Need a serious winch but think it would work well.

When you make almost 40 gallons of the same beer to ferment 9 different British yeasts (all WLP) to compare them. Time for more Kegerators and kegs.
Comparing them all side-by-side is going to make for a helluva night!

Make sure you take good notes because you probably won't remember it the next day...

When you can gift a friend getting into the hobby with a boil kettle, fermenter, and a mash paddle that you just had lying around the garage because you keep upgrading.

This^

I have enough old equipment to set up 3 newbies. Mostly for extract, but it’s a start. One buddy, who hooked me up with a bunch of fresh cascade, is coming over next weekend to learn basic brewing. If he likes it, he’ll get everything he needs tho brew, ferment and bottle.

This^

I have enough old equipment to set up 3 newbies. Mostly for extract, but it’s a start. One buddy, who hooked me up with a bunch of fresh cascade, is coming over next weekend to learn basic brewing. If he likes it, he’ll get everything he needs tho brew, ferment and bottle.

Just reread my post.... by no means do I know what I’m doing or have been brewing long at all. Craigslist has been good to me.

When your idea of a family day road trip consists of one or more home brew stores and you justify it because there is a view of the river. Water view. " Look, baby, we brought you to look at the water!" Dad/ Brewer skills! This was today.

Back