You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned the hard way that asking to buy a box of syringes "for my diabetic cat" was the standard line every strung-out IV drug abuser gives when asking for needles. The fact that I insisted on the .5ml U-40 insulin syringes my cat actually needs over whatever rando-sized turkey basters they were handing me made no nevermind; in their eyes I was just another druggy :smh:

After my experience, I ended up buying a bag of syringes online. Now I have a lifetime supply and avoid the shame!

B565FB6B-6124-4DCC-B962-A7F992A1DC54.jpeg

You might be a Homebrewers if you have two chest freezers but none of them hold any food.

You might be a homebrewer if you get home from work, walk right passed SWMBO, your dog, and your children to check the gravity of a fermenting wort.

You might be a homebrewer if you get upset when you spend 6+ dollars on a beer because you know you could have made it better.

When you start venturing into mead and wine, and don’t have the room for more 5 gallon fermenters so you start brewing 1-3 gallon batches.

You might be a homebrewer if you're looking for something to eat in the pantry, and find a random 22oz bottle (not labelled) and stick it in the fridge...and 24 hours later discover it's the last bottle of your 2018 holiday ale. And it tasted fantastic. And then remember you wanted to age it another 6 months but don't regret it.

You age/condition your beers for months at a time outside the fridge?

You know you’re a home brewer when not only do you have your LHBS on speed dial, but the manager’s number as well....

You age/condition your beers for months at a time outside the fridge?

If they're in the bottle, and I know the carbonation is fine, yes. This one mellowed out quite a bit, letting the malt come forward some more, and tasted much better than the kegged version. Gave me some ideas for next winter's batch.

You know you might be a homebrewer (and kegger) when the co2 tank is running low, and have to figure out the logistics of exchanging the tank at the shop near main job, having time to pay that bill that has to be paid in person, and still make it to second job in time, so the kegged beers can still be poured this weekend.

You know you might be a homebrewer (and kegger) when the co2 tank is running low, and have to figure out the logistics of exchanging the tank at the shop near main job, having time to pay that bill that has to be paid in person, and still make it to second job in time, so the kegged beers can still be poured this weekend.

That's easy buy another co2 tank so you don't have to worry about running out. I learned this lesson the hard way before a christmas party.

When your oldest child moves out and you are trying to figure if you can turn the room into a brewing room only to be told it is becoming a play room for the younger children.

When you walk into a customer’s kitchen and notice an airlock on the kitchen counter and a 15 minute job lasts 2 hours because of chitchat.

Funny thing is, I get calls all the time: “this is joe, my friend recommended you. He said to mention John The Brewer gave me your number.

I kid you not! I know 5 brewers who have hooked me up with hundreds of jobs!

When you find out on Tuesday that you are OFF on Friday and have already told your wife you wouldn't brew on Easter Weekend/Her Birthday and immediately get online to order ingredients to get here by Thursday night so you can brew FRIDAY because that's technically NOT the weekend.

I have a friend who roasts his own coffee. He always gives me some and when I feel like some joe in the morning I grind what I need fresh.

I got up extra early to finish something in the garage yesterday but instead of finishing the garage stuff, I ended up brewing 3 different batches of coffee just to figure out the absorption rate for each one.

You know when you're a home brewer when, as you pull a pint off the tap, you know you're getting near the end of the keg, and fear that it will blow before your fill your pint... in spite of having two other kegs in the pipeline ready to go.

You might be a homebrewer if, on a certain weekend, you're not planning on brewing; but 90% of the projects you have planned are geared towards the brewery (i.e., moving hop plants, cleaning kegs, kegging, figuring out how to clean the kegerator lines with the equipment I have). And then have to figure out how to get laundry done in the meantime. Who needs clean clothes anyway.

Latest posts

Back