You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way am I moving a kettle with 11 gallons of wort to the snowbank. And the snow is full of dirt because of drifting so not putting it in the cooling system! Easier to use more water that will be around 34-38 degrees in winter.

OK...apparently I am not be clear:

5 gallon bucket with some water
Pump hooked to input side of chiller of your choice
Discharge from chiller of your choice to the bucket
Fill remainder of bucket with ice/snow.
Refill with ice/snow as required

Chilled this way for a few years when still brewin in the garage.

Your oven took a crap and when you slide it out you think, "maybe the wife will be ok using a counter-top toaster oven because this will be a damn sweet place to setup a Grainfather". :)

LOL you have never seen MN prairie snow... I would have mud in the bucket to pump... and ice I would have to buy... not in the budget. I will just use a bigger tank! Pump the first hottest water into the mash tun for cleaning then circulate the rest.

OK...apparently I am not be clear:

5 gallon bucket with some water
Pump hooked to input side of chiller of your choice
Discharge from chiller of your choice to the bucket
Fill remainder of bucket with ice/snow.
Refill with ice/snow as required

Chilled this way for a few years when still brewin in the garage.

When you want to take a trip to Belgium to tour breweries.

A couple of years ago, SWMBO suggested taking the kids to Paris. My response was "I'll go if we can also spend a few days in Belgium." Paris was ok, but Cantillon, Drie Fontinen, Blaugis, Kerkom, and many other stops made the few days we had in and around Brussels so worth the multiple hour cramped flight there and back worth it. Everyone's bags were at weight limit on the way back, including the "extra" suitcase just in case.

The 16 year old loved it too because he got to sample at all the places.. Imagine your first beer being a Cantillon, don't think he will be a PBR kid.

So worth it. Also most of these places have a small enough production that it seems to fit better to the homebrew vibe than some of the mid to large sized craft brewery tours.

Don't know if I'll ever get back there, but I hope I do some day.

A couple of years ago, SWMBO suggested taking the kids to Paris. My response was "I'll go if we can also spend a few days in Belgium." Paris was ok, but Cantillon, Drie Fontinen, Blaugis, Kerkom, and many other stops made the few days we had in and around Brussels so worth the multiple hour cramped flight there and back worth it. Everyone's bags were at weight limit on the way back, including the "extra" suitcase just in case.

The 16 year old loved it too because he got to sample at all the places.. Imagine your first beer being a Cantillon, don't think he will be a PBR kid.

So worth it. Also most of these places have a small enough production that it seems to fit better to the homebrew vibe than some of the mid to large sized craft brewery tours.

Don't know if I'll ever get back there, but I hope I do some day.

I'm a travel agent so I've looked into this a few times already. If I could get some interest into going there I could put together a really nice tour.

When you go to a "dry" family member's home for dinner and can't wait for the hour to go by because all you can think about is the brown ale waiting on you.

When you anxiously wait on pins and needles for the family's response to the dunkelweizen you brought to Christmas Eve dinner.

the brew buddy texts and says it detects clove in the Pilsner.
yeah, I let you try the WLP-550 beer on tap... and now everything has clove (insulted)

BTW- Hops do not smell like cheese. (insulted)

I'm sure I'm not the first to say it but I'm not reading through the entire thread to quote it...

You know you're a homebrewer (wine/mead/cider maker) when your choice in sparkling wine for New Year's Eve is because this bottle has a nice ceramic flip top that I can use for beer, mead, or sparkling cider.

you have 3 computer screens on 3 different computers on your desk and a folder with brewing stuff displayed!!!

That's a good one!!

I have a folder on my iPhone called "Brewing". My wife noticed it the other day and said "Seriously? You have a problem". LOL HAHA

I don't have a problem

when I'm not brewing I'm thinking about brewing.

or reading about brewing. or posting about brewing. or thinking about reading or posting about brewing, or listening to podcasts or watching videos about brewing

but I am NOT obsessed with brewing

wait... well, yeah... maybe I do

Whenever SHMBO notices me on the computer, she asks me what I'm doing now. Yes dear, something brewing related, again.
Hey l can't help it if there's nothing on TV about brewing. 😉

Lol, now that we have a Smart TV, I can watch BrewingTV and Chop & Brew on the 60-inch

When someone you know tells you they're going to Australia and the first thing you think of is how awesome galaxy hops are.

It's 4 degrees and you're shoveling about a foot of snow off the deck (your brew space)...you wonder if you could hold mash temps, or how long it would take to bring 8 gallons of water up to a full boil.

I opened the cupboard the other day to grab a glass for some juice and it dawned on me that I have probably a 8:1 ratio of beer specific glasses to any other type of glass. The beer ones are all in matching sets and the others are random ones collected over the years. If you come to my house and want milk/juice/water it's probably going to be in either a beer glass or a kids plastic cup.

When you start to spend more on precision measuring instruments (DO/PH Combo meter) than on actual brewing equipment.
Might just be I am finally cracking up.
Either way, I swear my beer is getting better and better with each purchase!
:p

When USPS says your hops are suppose to be here today, but they didn't make it and you're upset. And your next brew day isn't even scheduled yet so there is no rush... At least it's below freezing here in Western NY. ;)

Back