You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you see the caller ID is work and you know they want you to come to work..... You grab a home brew and have a swig before answering so you can say "Just had a beer but if you give me time to get straight I can come in to work" and they say no because they know you can't work impaired. Score!!!! now you can get on with your brew day. Heck who cares if it is 5Am and you started drinking, you get an earlier start on the brew day.

You say goodnight to your fermenters.

You invite friends over for free beer because your brewing faster than your drinking.

captianoats said:
You say goodnight to your fermenters.

You invite friends over for free beer because your brewing faster than your drinking.

And your address is? :D

You end your Disney vacation early because you find out a brewing related package arrived while you were gone.

RedGuitar said:
When you do buy commercial beer, you choose based on which brewery has the easiest to remove labels.

+1. Deschutes were the best for us...never Sam Adams.

When your wife realizes making beer at home isn't the BIG money saver you where originally preaching.

SWMBO is on board and will throw down at the homebrew store without flinching. For me it's when you realize making beer at home isn't the BIG money saver YOU were originally thinking.

But you know, once I get a few more components...

When my girlfriend (SWMBO) tells me everytime I start talking about beer she is going to start talking about weddings, babies and brides maides dresses.

When making homemade beer bread with homemade hefeweizen and spent brewing grains is nearly as exciting as brewing itself, but using a whole bottle of the hefe in bread rather than drinking it is the hardest choice I've ever had to make.

your tax return goes to kegs and a keeper build! And your family asks if you want kolsch bottles for easter.

when you stop eating meat not for political reason but to save money so you can dump it into making a belgian tripel with american hops at 40 ibus.

When the first thing you do each morning, prior to getting out of bed, is grab your phone, check your email to see the replies to this thread and start your day knowing you'll come home to beer on tap!

You realize that a mill just might be a necessary piece of equipment in your brewhaus... but of course will put it on an upcoming 'gift list ideas' for the future....:)

RmikeVT said:
When my girlfriend (SWMBO) tells me everytime I start talking about beer she is going to start talking about weddings, babies and brides maides dresses.

You may want to compromise on that. Once she becomes more than your girlfriend, you'll get all the wedding and baby talk you can handle. Best to put that off as long as possible.

RedGuitar said:
When you do buy commercial beer, you choose based on which brewery has the easiest to remove labels.

When you get to the point that, because you have so many bottles, you're no longer selective.

When SWMBO, who knows nothing about brewing, can describe yeast reproduction stages to someone but has to do it in laymans terms, gets frustrated and says " well, you get the idea".

When going into your LHBS is like walking into Cheers.

When you're itching to brew some more,.but your stove needs new burners first. And you can only afford one at a time. :(:drunk:

When you've spent more time reading books, brewing, and browsing the internet in the first month than you've done actual work in the last year.

When you're in the process of getting married, buying a home, and traveling for a honeymoon over the next month... yet you're more excited to come home and check your fermenters.

When you show up at work and empties from co-workers are on your desk every morning

Bamsdealer said:
When you've spent more time reading books, brewing, and browsing the internet in the first month than you've done actual work in the last year.

When you're in the process of getting married, buying a home, and traveling for a honeymoon over the next month... yet you're more excited to come home and check your fermenters.

When you show up at work and empties from co-workers are on your desk every morning

When you can write 3 good posts in this thread at one time.

When your co-workers walk up to you and ask if you can teach them. Because they just realized that brewing your own is better than buying.

When you wake up in a cold sweat, either from having a nightmare thinking someone stole your beer and equipment.. "it was gonna be good, I just knew it!" or because you're worried it isn't going to be any better than the other 5 brews that are aging nicely, all which have been improvements, with the slight exception.

When you discover having already spent the better part of $200 on bottles alone, there are simply so many more needed!

When you half freeze your beer, so the alcohol part is still liquid, drinking it then letting the rest of the bottle come to a more drinkable temp.

Realising everybody has realised how much beer really means to you, then for birthdays, christmases, etc. they all buy you kits they want to try, expecting more than just a schooner for their troubles involved.

Getting depressed due to the fact you realise you've been on this forum for half an hour... That's precious beer making time right there!

When you go to the hardware store for something completely unrelated to brewing and you end up wandering the aisles for half an hour looking over hardware just to see if there's anything that you need to modify your brew setup.

And when you get home the first question you hear is, "What took so long?"

When you write a database, make a website on your PC so that you can enter data from your iPhone, and use it on brew day to track the styles, OGs and names of your brothers in law and nephews that are brewing with you. All data entry is done via iPhone in the back yard as measurements are taken.

Hmmm ... maybe you should write a tutorial thread - that setup sounds useful! :)

...You have custom excel sheets for tracking your current batches, what's in each fermentor, what's in each keg, what's on each tap, what's carbonating, what yeast you have in test tubes sorted by custom serial number, and a custom sheet with all of the different yeast strains with optimal temp ranges, attuenation, and alcohol tolerance.

I have been thinking about something like this .... :eek:

...When you have at least three full propane tanks and still worry you might run out of fuel.

+1

...When you start buying 50 lb bags of grain...just for your own brewing.

Just did this for the first time last week - it is amazing how many recipes start with 2-row ... :D

I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud.

Proud ... Definitely proud! :mug:

You ponder if you were to die, who/if your beer in the fermenter would get bottled/kegged.

Actually thought about this yesterday ... :eek:

When you have 25 gallons of homebrew ready to drink and think you need to brew more.

+1 :D

Or you need to purchase commercial beer and you leave the first store you go to empty handed because you refuse to buy beer in bottles you cannot reuse. :cross:

When you already have 500+ bottles, but you still can't bring yourself to throw out a pop-top commercial bottle after drinking the beer even though you don't really need any more bottles!

When you go to the mail box every day for a week waiting for a book on Home Brew to come in and when it comes in, you realized you already bought it and read it last month.

Back