You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had friends offer to pitch in for ingredients for big events like a party or camping trip
yeah, same here. but I always declined.
I like to brew what/when I want and tinker around, which leads to more beer I can drink or store properly. besides my buddies could never agree on a type/style, so they get what I want to clear out. only complaint so far was that they don't have enough fridge space left...

You need to swing by the homebrew store on the way to work so you can brew this weekend but its too nice to not ride the motorcycle so you take the bike and swing by the homebrew store anyway and squeeze 6 pounds of grain into your backpack.
Ha!

When you already have three fermentors bubbling away in the garage workshop, your bike is in bits and you'd need the table for workspace but you're thinking meh it's still december there's plenty of time till the riding season starts, if I arrange things a little I could probly squeeze in a fourth one in the corner...

When you have more chest freezers than an ABC Warehouse, and none of them contain food . . . Yet each has a vital specific function . . .

When you spend ten minutes browsing the beer list at a local restaurant looking for a specific beer, only to realize you won't find it because it is one you do at home . . .

When you are trying to figure out which of your brews can be bottled the earliest and still taste the best because you want to free up one of your 7 fermenters...

your supposed to have cloths in your closet but instead have this
beergear.jpg

You're leaving on a flight to California at 6 AM in the morning, it's less than 13 hours away and one of the things on your pack list is I have to finish bottling that wine before I leave because otherwise too much airspace will sit in the car boy and it won't be good.

IMG_1517955541.663959.jpg

When most of the bargaining you do with your wife involves brewing her a sour beer in exchange for spending more money on new equipment.

When your wife's BFF whose son is a local brew master, asks for more of your Brown Porter because it is the BEST she has ever tasted.

When you see a meat aging cabinet in an email and think that would make a great fermentation chamber, then click the link and get shocked by the price! It was over 18 grand.

When your wife brings home a Mountain Dew Kickstarter fountain drink and says, “Look at what they had on tap!”

When you have a conversation with a fellow homebrewer in the bar at the bowling alley before league, and you're almost late because we got into an in-depth discussion of what hops would go best with the Black IPA he's planning...and now I want to brew one too.

You've just finished off a 55 lb sack of avangard German pils malt brewing Belgian strongs, ...and have only just restocked with a whole sack of belgian pale malt, only to be suddenly struck (FOR THE FIRST TIME!!) by an uncontrollably powerful urge to brew helles, pilsners, and festbiers for summer... FML, this is the world's greatest obssession.

When you have spent way more on brewing equipment then you can ever hope to make up for in beer consumed in your lifetime...but say "what the hell" and buy some more new equipment.
/cheers

When you have spent way more on brewing equipment then you can ever hope to make up for in beer consumed in your lifetime...but say "what the hell" and buy some more new equipment.
/cheers

I would say that I am even with my present rig that has not changed significantly in 5+ years.

But... I do have my eye on going electric with a 3 vessel automated system. That would set me back for years at least if not my lifetime....

When your wife says "its time you buy a cabinet for the garage for all your damn beer glasses. there is no more room in the kitchen." followed by "do you really need all those different glassware shapes just for beer?"

[Raises his hand and says "guilty!"]

When your wife says "its time you buy a cabinet for the garage for all your damn beer glasses. there is no more room in the kitchen." followed by "do you really need all those different glassware shapes just for beer?"

[Raises his hand and says "guilty!"]
Man I must be lucky, my wife loves beer glasses and has a collection of her own. They take up an entire cabinet in the kitchen, prime real estate in a large corner cabinet between the sink and DW.

I would say that I am even with my present rig that has not changed significantly in 5+ years.

But... I do have my eye on going electric with a 3 vessel automated system. That would set me back for years at least if not my lifetime....

Just a thought, but what do people who spend thousands of dollars traveling to foreign lands have to show for their expenditure? Whereas you, if you upgrade, will have something that lasts for years....

Just sayin'.....

And in the interests of this thread, you know you're a homebrewer when you look for things you can sell to raise money for your next upgrade. :)

Which is where I am now....

Back