You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you agree to go to the flea market with SWMBO just in case someone has a good deal on brew gear.

When after a 5 year hiatus because of getting married/career change/having kids you decide after visiting a brewery on vacation that you miss it, and you spend 3 days staring at your garage trying to decide how to set it up with all the equipment you saved, knowing one day you'll be back.

Might have to do an extract brew or two just to get back at it.

When you have to remind your friends the growler is not a gift along with the home brew and you want it back...ideally cleaned. [emoji23]

I have a pan hanging from a chain over the "stove" or whatever "kiuas" is in english, in the sauna. I usually put a few sausages in a tin foil bag, pour some beer in, toss the thing on the pan, and when I'm done with the sauna, bam a bag full of beer steamed sossidge.

Kiuas = “heater”, apparently. The thing that makes the sauna warm?
This sounds like an amazing idea.

Brats in beer are even better. Grill them to get them browned/charred to your liking(I prefer just before blackened), then move to a pan of beer with drained kraut and sliced onions and simmer until done. But use a decent beer!

Mary, I think you have this backwards. :)

We first cook the brats in beer with onions, then finish by cooking on the grill.

The cooked onions are then used to garnish the brat in the bun.

I live in Wisconsin so this is the last word on cooking bratwurst. :)

We first cook the brats in beer with onions, then finish by cooking on the grill.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to... it's sausage in beer! ;)

When cooking curry, I've deglazed the pan with Becks that someone had bought for me and that I just couldn't see getting used any other way.

Also - you see a story about a rather unpleasant stalker called David Brett, and your first response is to wonder if he smells funky.

A sauna/bath tub/utility room/kitchen etc. full of huge freshly washed pots n pans give you a strange feeling of pride and joy because it is at the same time a sign of a deed well done as well as a promise of future adventures and enjoyment.

A sauna/bath tub/utility room/kitchen etc. full of huge freshly washed pots n pans give you a strange feeling of pride and joy because it is at the same time a sign of a deed well done as well as a promise of future adventures and enjoyment.

Wait...
So you took all your pots and pans in the sauna? ;)

I grew up in New Ulm MN aka German Town USA and we do it right :D

When you tell your wife she should clone a habanero sauce. She needed a definition of clone... Silly girl.

I grew up in New Ulm MN aka German Town USA and we do it right :D

Minnesota heritage: Scandinavian.

Wisconsin heritage: German

Your attempt at promulgating a faketoid is duly noted! :)

NORTHERN Minnesota heritage is Scandinavian! Large parts of Southern MN are German! :p I should know, I have both in my heritage! I grew up drinking this swill http://schellsbrewery.com/ (deer beer aka deer piss aka liquid exlax...). Herman Heights monument. People in town speak German... Don't try to claim my heritage is not what I know! Grandpa was full blood German as was Grandma on dad's side. Mom's side came from Northern MN and has the Norwegian/Swedish(and a half dozen other countries... dang Vikings were promiscuous!)

Minnesota heritage: Scandinavian.

Wisconsin heritage: German

Your attempt at promulgating a faketoid is duly noted! :)

NORTHERN Minnesota heritage is Scandinavian! Large parts of Southern MN are German! :p I should know, I have both in my heritage! I grew up drinking this swill http://schellsbrewery.com/ (deer beer aka deer piss aka liquid exlax...). Herman Heights monument. People in town speak German... Don't try to claim my heritage is not what I know! Grandpa was full blood German as was Grandma on dad's side. Mom's side came from Northern MN and has the Norwegian/Swedish(and a half dozen other countries... dang Vikings were promiscuous!)

If you want to go from one nationality to another in Minnesota, just drive an hour. Germans in the south (the aforementioned New Ulm), Welsh around Mankato (my wife's hometown) and Lake Crystal, Finns up north, Italians in Duluth and on the Iron Range, Irish in St. Paul, Norwegians and Swedes everywhere in between. Etc., etc.

OT Re: Minnesota being scandinavian isn't there even a town called Finland somewhere in MI?

It's actually Norway, MI. I used to work in the U.P. of Michigan and many of our older customers would come up to us speaking in Finnish, we had a few guys who spoke Finnish.

You know you're a homebrewer when you have a 50lb. sack of grain in your room bedroom. Cheers.:tank:

When you're watching football and getting ready to start a new job tomorrow and think your time would have been better spent brewing. Or planning a brew. Or working on a brewing build project.

When you have 4 different 6 gallons batches waiting to finish fermentation and then bottle, but every day, you think about the next 20 brews you have planned and work on recipes any minute of the day.

When you're listening to a video lecture on something you absolutely need to retain in order to pass a class, but you've never been more fascinated by the bubbles in your beer.

When I'm looking forward to brewing with my brewpub boss this weekend because it will use up his remaining two row, meaning he will have to order more next week, which means I will get to piggyback order more for me as well. Also that we're finally brewing the Scotch ale we've talked about for months, one that I've contributed heavily to the recipe building, and are planning it out so that I get to take 5 gallons of wort home with me to ferment here. And we're getting that much closer to moving out of his garage taproom into bigger commercial premises where we'll have all the room in the world and better equipment. Got a big burn on my arm this last weekend losing my balance and leaning on the HLT in order not to drop the plate chiller.

When swmbo has the tv paused on a scene of a couple in the bar, the woman talking and holding a beer.
My thought: I bet she's describing the different off flavors and their likely causes.

IMG_20171116_113854_8466edc7.jpg

When you see this and your first thought is "my my, that's a LOT of free fermenter carboys" :D

Sadly that was not to be. Before asking for them I decided I'll casually slip them into the conversation, turns out they were the last remains of a spring water company that went belly up after a shady land construction company had delivered a huge amount of land onto the site of a new pumping station. Turns out the land was contaminated with fuel oil and now the entire spring is ruined. They actually said I could have had them but since the water that was in them was compromised no food item could ever be stored in them safely. Bummer.

IMG_20171116_113854_8466edc7.jpg

When you see this and your first thought is "my my, that's a LOT of free fermenter carboys" :D

Sadly that was not to be. Before asking for them I decided I'll casually slip them into the conversation, turns out they were the last remains of a spring water company that went belly up after a shady land construction company had delivered a huge amount of land onto the site of a new pumping station. Turns out the land was contaminated with fuel oil and now the entire spring is ruined. They actually said I could have had them but since the water that was in them was compromised no food item could ever be stored in them safely. Bummer.

Should have grabbed them. I heard they are great for tong storage.

Back