You know what pisses me off? SAME-DIFFERENCE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I hate the saying "Same-Difference"! It is a total oxymoron. IT does not make sense, but SWMBO will argue with me all day that it does. And she's the one who claims to be an English buff!

I absolutely HATE this saying!!!! I went to Google for some back-up.....and the jury's still out. Some say it is proper. Then I found others who say this:
It's a term used by ignorant fools with no grasp of the english language.

What do you guys think?

I found this link that was kind of interesting:

The Oxymoron List

talleymonster said:
Exactly!! It should be" I couldn't care less."!

LOL

when i was growing up i heard "i could care less" and I assumed that was a mistake so i thought the saying was "couldn't care less" which of course, actually makes sense

I'm not an English expert but you're right it's moronic though I did find this explanation.

"something that you say which means that the difference between two things is not important"

I only say that kind of stuff to piss off the grammar police.

"Cat, Rabbit, same difference" is a common one.

Yuri_Rage said:
Aren't some of you people the ones who didn't like my spelling/grammar thread? :ban:
you had a spelling grammar thread??? where the fk was I... I could have used that schooling :D
Thanks for puting up with my dumb a$$
cheers

worlds worst speller
(and ok with it)

I couldn't care less about the same difference statement. When she uses it at the end of an argument, it just means that I've won, You've lost!

BUT
What the hell does WHAT NOT mean? I just want to punch people right between the eyes when they say that.

I will hop in the boat with the grammar police on this one...

If you are going to make a cliche statement, at least do it properly. My biggest pet peeve is improper grammar and spelling, especially when it is intentional. People today don't seem to care about proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc. It is a step backward in creating a society of intellectuals and it makes me cringe. People need to take pride in what they do and say, and not be ignorant just because it makes them seem "cool".

Demon said:
I will hop in the boat with the grammar police on this one...

If you are going to make a cliche statement, at least do it properly. My biggest pet peeve is improper grammar and spelling, especially when it is intentional. People today don't seem to care about proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc. It is a step backward in creating a society of intellectuals and it makes me cringe. People need to take pride in what they do and say, and not be ignorant just because it makes them seem "cool".
i dont understand wat your sayin i mean just cuz im cooler then u duznt mean u gotta h8 srsly man r u stuck in teh 1900s get wiht it

The difference between 8 and 3 is 5. The difference between 82 and 87 is 5. They are different sets of numbers, but have the same difference.

You and a *******, as compared to you and a dip****. Same difference. :p

(I'm not saying you're a *******, just that the difference between you and a ******* are the same... you can take that to mean whatever you like,,,, :p )

Ok ok ok.. I'm just using the first example that came to mind. no offense intended... cheers! :drunk:

Sir Humpy hit it on the head. The term "same difference" is grammatically valid, but Talley's frustration with it obviously comes from people using it incorrectly.

Talley, your wife is probably arguing that it's a valid term because it is, technically---but it's all about how people use it. Sir Humpy used it correctly above. But most people use it incorrectly, as in "sheeeit, dude, bud lite, miller lite, same difference"...being used, essentially, to mean "makes no difference".

"You decide". It's meaningless and/or synonymous with, "whatever you want." She could just say blah, blah, blah and would still mean, "guess, and don't get it wrong."

I moved to northern MN about 10 years ago, and i have never heard these two grossly incorrect grammatical references anywhere else in the US. I travel alot for work, and have yet to hear these words used in this way...

Many people around here use the phrase:
"Will you borrow me a dollar?" or "My neighbored borrowed me his lawn mower when mine broke"

NO NO NO.."I will LEND you a dollar, but damnit, no one is going to BORROW you anything...NOT EVEN THE BANK *******...the bank will LEND you money if you apply for a LOAN." You dont go to the bank and apply for a BORROW. UGGH...

And this classic...
"We won them 3-2 in the hockey game last night"..Really? you won them? seriously, did you put the whole opposing team in your trophy case? or did you get the whole school or what? No *******, you BEAT them...and you WON the GAME..you didnt WIN THEM !!

Ok, I'm done. </rant>

Okay, some regionals for you from the great state of Mississippi that I hear all the time:

"Might can" - I might can install this satelite dish with a .22

"Make groceries" - I'm going to Walmart to make groceries, the pantry is empty

"Look at TV" - What'd you do last night? I looked at some TV, my favorite show was on.

:drunk:

Hmm, where to start...

In sports when people say one team OVER another team. Really? Over/under denotes a physical relationship. You can hop over someone, or be under the table. You beat another team, or better yet, WIN.

People incorrectly using 'due to'. You were not late to work 'due to' your car not starting, you were late because your car didn't start. 'Due' is used for money.

'Between the two of us' is another phrase that gets me. It's redundant. "Between" by definition involves two people, things etc. If it's three or more you move to among. There is no need for the 'two of us' on the end of the phrase because between takes care of the numbers involved.

Oh, yeah. I also dislike the word 'very'. But i'll save that for another time.

I have more, but i'll stop.

I hate when people use "so doesn't" or "so didn't" incorrectly.

As in, "Yuri made a post in this thread. So didn't Evan!"

Alls I have to say is that "Alls" is NOT a word.

"Alls you have to do is drink a couple pints of Apfelwein and you wont give a damn how people talk"

<Talley, your wife is probably arguing that it's a valid term because it is, technically---but it's all about how people use it. Sir Humpy used it correctly above. But most people use it incorrectly, as in "sheeeit, dude, bud lite, miller lite, same difference"...being used, essentially, to mean "makes no difference".>

The problem is the term 'same difference' implies an unspoken frame of reference. The above example involving bud light & miller lite could definitely imply an unknown frame of reference being 'good beer'. Those two compared to your choice of 'good beer' are different from said frame of reference. However that difference is 'the same'.

Now if the frame of reference is one of the two, say Bud Light, then ,yes, the meaning is 'no difference' and that person was an idiot for using the phrase incorrectly. You should have known that already since their frame of reference was, of course, a lesser beer to begin with.

Spyk'd said:
Okay, some regionals for you from the great state of Mississippi that I hear all the time:

"Might can" - I might can install this satelite dish with a .22

:drunk:

Round here...we say "Might Could"...Might could make some better brew if I could reed.

mrfocus said:
w|-|47, y0u m34n l1k3 7|-|15? y0u d0n7 l1ik3 c4us3 1 pwnz0rz y0u!!!111

1 c0uld c4r3 l355... (w|-|1c|-| m34ns 1 c4r3 47 l3457 4 b17, r1gh7?)

m4yb3 n0w 15 4 b4d t1m3 t0 t4lk 4b0ut t3h l337 7r4nsl4t0r: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/leet

15 17 4 b4d 51gn 7|-|47 1 u|\|d3r5700d 7|-|47 \/\/17|-|0u7 4 7r4n51470r? 1 mu57 b3 ub3r 1337!

Sorry. On a more serious note, most of the people I hear saying "same difference" are thirteen year old girls. This is only one of many nails-on-chalkboard phrases used by this age group. Others include excessive use of "whatever" and "like." Ew.

beta pleated sheet said:
15 17 4 b4d 51gn 7|-|47 1 u|\|d3r5700d 7|-|47 \/\/17|-|0u7 4 7r4n51470r? 1 mu57 b3 ub3r 1337!

Sorry. On a more serious note, most of the people I hear saying "same difference" are thirteen year old girls. This is only one of many nails-on-chalkboard phrases used by this age group. Others include excessive use of "whatever" and "like." Ew.

1yk3 \/\/|-|473\/4

being english, and living in the US, i get to hear a lot of what to my ears is mangled language and grammar (*). but my most hated things eva! are:

- "my bad" - as in I just destroyed the entire planet because I pressed the red button without knowing what it would do, but it's ok, because I said "my bad" afterwards

- "real quick" - I don't know why, but this infuriates me. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether it should be "really quick" or "really quickly" or whatever. it might even be "correct" as it is. I just hate it

- "it is what it is" - I just started work on a new project and I find myself saying this about every ten minutes. All that, and I still have to wait another 2+ years before I get a vote - something is just wrong

(*) not implying that the english are any better with the language, just that it's differenter for me being from another country, innit.

Evets said:
It's six and a half dozen of one or the other, as far as I'm concerned.

ahahaha!

We had a friend from Russia, who natively spoke Russian until he was about 7, when his parents moved him here to the US, so English is a second language to him. He tried to use "Six to one, a half dozen to the other" but it came out as "six and a half dozen to the other." He still hasn't heard the end of that, and it was 3 years ago.

cd2448 said:
- "my bad" - as in I just destroyed the entire planet because I pressed the red button without knowing what it would do, but it's ok, because I said "my bad" afterwards

would you prefer "oops"?

cd2448 said:
- "real quick" - I don't know why, but this infuriates me. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether it should be "really quick" or "really quickly" or whatever. it might even be "correct" as it is. I just hate it

how about "right quick" as in "let me check the temperature right quick and then we can go brew" :p

cd2448 said:
- "it is what it is" - I just started work on a new project and I find myself saying this about every ten minutes. All that, and I still have to wait another 2+ years before I get a vote - something is just wrong

it is what it ain't :D

Evets said:

I hated that expression until I started coming up with variations:

It's two of one and the only even prime of the other.

It's pi of one and the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter of the other.

It's 13 of one and D (base 16) of the other.

Now I only find it mildly annoying.

Evets said:
Hey that's my favorite phrase. My wife says I don't go a day without using it. And she comments on it every time. :D

Some of these phrases I find quite common and their use is usually off-handed humor, like "same difference" and "six of one, half dozen of the other" but others like the "borrow" use and "Might could" make the speaker sound ignorant to most people. I would imagine in areas where their use is prevalent it would require a conscious effort to not make that mistake.

Craig

Craig

DeathBrewer said:
would you prefer "oops"?

Anything but my f'ing bad.

DeathBrewer said:
how about "right quick" as in "let me check the temperature right quick and then we can go brew" :p

Doesn't sound so bad somehow. I had a Cornish friend (far south-west of England) in college, and he would always say he was going to do something "directly". It always meant "never".

DeathBrewer said:
it is what it ain't :D

A nice twist. Another loathesome one is "perception is reality". I'm in IT and project managers spout this BS non-stop. My response generally is "WTF is that supposed to mean?".

And if anyone else, ever, says "Whatever happens in <insert ******* place here>, stays in <******* place>". I will kill them. All of them. Real quick.

Back