You could make soda!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
I heard this mentioned once and I just thought I would offer a little something this morning. If you took a keg and filled it with water then added Sodastream syrup or homemade syrup you could then Force carbonate the keg or however you carbonate it and have soda right?! Just an idea.

By the way if anybody has any ideas on syrup making let me know. I haven't had much luck I guess when confronted with how much sugar is needed I've been fearful. I've seen some nice root beer kits at The Homebrew store

Somewhere on here there is a thread about making mineral water. I think that the OP was attempting to make San Pelagrino through the additions of various minerals and force carb.

Trout

I don't make soda any more, since I gave up sugar and sugar substitutes, but I have been working on seltzer water.

When my kids were living at home, I made root beer quite often (and so did my son), and ginger ale. Now I make some tonic water (love gin & tonic!) but there are some recipes I've used here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Nice thanks for the suggestions and recipes everyone. I carb with moded sodastream hooked up to 20lb tank, usually drink energy drink but will be making some ginger ale soon!

Man I'm thinking about kegging 5 gallons of energy drink that way I wouldn't have to make it in the morning I would just tap it. Between this and aging and having a good beer pipeline now I'm starting to picture a keezer

One caution about some of the flavors - they can taste pretty chemically. Root beer extract seems pretty good, and vanilla extract for cream soda. But if it is a color not found in nature, it probably tastes like it!

I don't make soda any more, since I gave up sugar and sugar substitutes, but I have been working on seltzer water.

When my kids were living at home, I made root beer quite often (and so did my son), and ginger ale. Now I make some tonic water (love gin & tonic!) but there are some recipes I've used here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Yooper, this link didn't work and im really curious about this can you help me out? We love ginger ale and root beer.

I did a really tasty (non alcoholic) ginger beer for a party a couple years ago. It was a three gallon keg, so I brought about three gallons of water to 150 degrees and steeped about half a lb of chopped ginger in a bag for 30 minutes. Pulled it out, cooled it, added a couple lbs of demera sugar and the juice of maybe 10 limes (everything to taste, of course). Force carbed in the keg, and it was really really tasty.

I've heard that certain sodas will cause kegs and lines to hold their scent/flavor for a long time and it's best to dedicate one keg/line for soda only. Anyone care to share their experience?

They say root beer does that, but it might depend on what kind. I never noticed it, but I have a dedicated soda keg and tap - no beer in that one.

I've been making root beer for the grandkids, well me & the wife too, for some time now..

Ingredients:
4 1/2 gallons RO water
1 bottle Zatarain's Root Beer Concentrate
4 lbs C&H White Table Sugar
2 Tablespoons homemade vanilla

Directions:
-Add sugar to 2 gallons RO water & warm up just enough to dissolve. (Not even close to boiling).
-Cool the sugar water. (I usually dissolve it the night before and let it sit over night)
-Add all the rest of the ingredients to the 5 gallon dedicated root beer keg & seal up tight with CO2. (Be sure to rinse the root beer concentrate bottle with RO water so you're not wasting a drop.)
-I usually force carb it at 50 lbs. shaking it up good. Either way it needs to be shook.
-Put in the kegerator and chill down.
-Set CO2 @ 23-25 lbs. & connect the 20' beer line.
-Serve out of a Perlick...
-Order more Zatarain's Root Beer Concentrate 'cause it goes fast!! Any more I just buy 12 bottles & store in the kegerator.

Cheers!!!

Off topic - I miss there being categories for recipes. Now it's ale or lager. Argh.

And then click the prefix for the style you want. Actually much more expedient than going into the database, finding the style you want, clicking in there. Just go into "Ale" and click the prefix for IPA, if you're looking for IPAs.

I've heard that certain sodas will cause kegs and lines to hold their scent/flavor for a long time and it's best to dedicate one keg/line for soda only. Anyone care to share their experience?

Root beer definitely does that. I had 30' of line designated just to root beer at one time, back when my kids lived at home and before I became an anti-sugar Nazi. I used to make soda with my kids occasionally, and my son particularly liked it.

I recently made root beer with my nieces. Part of the reason was because it's fun and it demystifies a process, but another part of it was so we could say "look at all that sugar!" as they were measuring out X pounds of brown sugar and Y pounds of turbinado, etc.

Root beer definitely does that. I had 30' of line designated just to root beer at one time, back when my kids lived at home and before I became an anti-sugar Nazi. I used to make soda with my kids occasionally, and my son particularly liked it.

My son loves rootbeer too! But like you I worry about the sugar. Seems to bring out the Jim Belushi in him. I agree most soda is definitely going to leave a scent, especially energy drink.

I recently made root beer with my nieces. Part of the reason was because it's fun and it demystifies a process, but another part of it was so we could say "look at all that sugar!" as they were measuring out X pounds of brown sugar and Y pounds of turbinado, etc.

Thanks for that nice recipe above. I don't think I'm going to keg soda. It's just too easy to carbonate whenever I want it, but I'm curious how I could turn this recipe into a syrup that I can use to dump into carbonated water like a Sodastream mix.

Latest posts

Back