Yet one more Star San/ BB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I did a search in this forum looking for info on storing Star San in a BB. What I found was very contradicting. Some people say its ok some say not. If you go to BB's website this is what they say...

Resistance to Sanitizing Agents
Test Conditions
1 day at ~ 25° C
In actual practice, contact time would be just a few minutes
Note #1: Extended exposure is not recommended; however, brief contact for sanitation will not significantly shorten the useful life of parts.
1 A product of Five Star Chemicals, Denver, CO (www.fivestarchemicals.com)

1 day is ok but no longer, I have read that some leave it in their BB's for weeks/months at a time. I am not talking about just the foam I am talking about actually storing a few gallons of the stuff.

Any input?

I think basic brewing radio podcasts had the owner of star san on a few episodes back, I cant remember if they went over this or not, you could alway email spencer on the site and ask him he always gets back to you pretty quick

Well I sent an email to Better Bottle asking this question so hopefully they will respond.

Better-Bottles response=

To the best of our knowledge, you will not encounter any problems. We do not
recommend long term storage, because we have no way of testing the impact of
long term storage under all the possible conditions that might exist in the
field. Also, diluted sanitizers tend not to hold up too well and leaving a
diluted sanitizer in a container for a prolonged period gives microorganism
the maximum opportunity to adapt.

I wanted to bump this thread to see if I can get anyone to say what they do.....

Back