Yet I Digress . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HABIT

Reaction score
Like Dylock in another thread I also picked up a couple gallons of apple juice from Whole Foods in the one gallon glass jugs. This is probably where the similarities part. I really had better intentions on starting my "experiment" with a little more knowledge on the subject.
Yet I digress.
So after a night of brewing a Blonde Ale and a few games of Euchre. (this is usually when things turns bad) I figured no better time than the present to kick off my forte into Cider making.
The gist of it went something like this . . . . .

Jug #1
3/4 gallon apple juice
2 cups table sugar

Jug #2
3/4 gallon apple juice
2 cups light DME

Pitched with Champagne yeast that I hydrated. Half into each bottle.

The cider with the DME took off with a good sized kraussen and pretty much went crazy and slowed considerably by day 7.
The cider with the table sugar is still down there chuggin away nice and steady.
Small kraussen and now a nice layer of bubbles.
Its been about 9 days. The temp stays about 66-68 in the room where its sitting.
No OG reading on either "experiment".:drunk:
Jug #1 reading today is 1.026. Tasted good, nice bite, cloudy.
Jug #2 N/A
I guess my questions are these . . .
What will the DME do to the flavor???
With about a 1.lb of sugars in less than a gallon.
Will it ferment out pretty quickly ???
Which one will taste better ???

100_1203.jpg

100_1261.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1265.jpg
[/IMG]

I, too, started a Whole Foods tonight. I didn't take a hydro reader tonight because I didn't want to handle it too much. However, past batches with that juice have been around 1.058, so I figure as long as it is going down, it doesn't matter, this once. 3.6 pH, too.

Oh crap, you added sugar. Well, can't help you there.

Back