yet another starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
I've got a question about cold crashing starters to settle the yeast out and decant. Right now it's in my fridge, clearing out very well, and I plan to take out and decant the spent liquid somewhere toward the end of my brew later today.

Here is my question - I'm making an IPA that I will cool and ferment at 65 degrees, do I want to let my yeast warm back up a bit after I take out of the fridge and decant so that I pitch at close to the same temp as the wort?

Does my question make sense? I was thinking that if I pitch my 40 degree yeast into 65 degree wort that this may shock them. I'm sure this has been answered but I couldn't find a clear one.

Many thanks.

I've got a question about cold crashing starters to settle the yeast out and decant. Right now it's in my fridge, clearing out very well, and I plan to take out and decant the spent liquid somewhere toward the end of my brew later today.

Here is my question - I'm making an IPA that I will cool and ferment at 65 degrees, do I want to let my yeast warm back up a bit after I take out of the fridge and decant so that I pitch at close to the same temp as the wort?

Does my question make sense? I was thinking that if I pitch my 40 degree yeast into 65 degree wort that this may shock them. I'm sure this has been answered but I couldn't find a clear one.

Many thanks.

Try to get the yeast to within 15-degrees of your wort temperature before pitching. I've seen others suggest an even narrower range, like plus or minus 5-degrees of the wort, but I've been pitching at the former without any problems.

Many thanks.

Yes, you'll get a quicker start to fermentation if you let it warm to room temp. I put my starter in the fridge the night before, decant in the morning when I start the brew day process, and swirl the yeast every time I walk by it. I use 2 quarter starters for 5 gallon batches and 4 quart starters for 10, assuming normal gravity beers. Using this process I will see fermentation start in a couple hours on most days.

Back