(yet another) My 1st AG BIAB tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I did! Boiled water, mixed it in, and poured it in the FV.

:)

Heh - I was already at high krausen, dumping that sugar-water in yesterday just made it slam into high-gear! For the second time ever, I can see the churning going on in the FV (usually can't because it's sitting down in a cooler) but I am making sure to keep the temps down, so hopefully it won't overflow. I figure if it hasn't by now, hopefully it won't at all.

It smells SO good!!!

Nice pics way to go. Thats how i started. Slowly drop grain bag in sparge pot or it can be messy. I ended up using food safe 5 dollar home depot bucket and learned to put grains in first
Then
Pour water into bag then stir then squeeze f.....r with lid like you did using 8qt pasta strainer which fits perfectly over said bucket. Or use a sweet collander over kettle like gavin

Well, took a gravity sample (no, didn't return it to the FV this time!) on my latest iteration of the IPA I am making using the same experimental hops before cold-crashing it. Expected FG according to Brewers Friend was supposed to be 1.016, but BF never gives Notty enough credit, although it seems to respect US-05 just fine - actual FG was 1.008.

I was shooting for the top-end of the IPA category, ended up squarely in DIPA land. ABV is 9.05%, OG was 1.077, so yeah... glad I went with some Golden Promise on this one, maybe the malt won't be steamrolled by the dryness & the hops!

Oh yeah, it tastes AMAZING!!! All Amarillo dry-hop on this one. That's why the sample didn't get returned - it's in the fridge, settling out so I can have a proper sample-taste tonight.

In Brewers friend at the bottom of the yeast selector you can put in a custom attenuation for your yeast. If you consistently get more attenuation then you can make the adjustment there. Also, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Brewers friend does not calculate that sugar attenuates 100%. So this will also affect your final gravity.

I hadn't noticed that before, I'll take a look next time I am in there. Thanks.

One thing is, it hasn't been consistent in it's over-attenuation. Sometimes it is 4 points, sometimes it's 5-6, this time was 8. Heck, the last batch I made before this one was only 2 points low! Weird...

I hadn't noticed that before, I'll take a look next time I am in there. Thanks.

One thing is, it hasn't been consistent in it's over-attenuation. Sometimes it is 4 points, sometimes it's 5-6, this time was 8. Heck, the last batch I made before this one was only 2 points low! Weird...

Are you confident in your thermometer's accuracy and are you ever finding dry spots or stratification in the mash? Just tossing up ideas, BIAB is usually pretty quick to equalize temp in the mash.

I check my thermometer every year in both boiling water & an ice bath.

I stir the crap out of the wort before taking any temperature reading, just to avoid any hot- or cold-spots. I've never had a dry patch.

The crush is consistent - not great for BIAB, but consistent.

I have just gotten into water chemistry, but all I am doing right now is campden for my tap water and adding 1/2 tsp of gypsum. This was only for my last three brews, as that's when I went AG, and all three were IPAs. Before that, it was extract w/mini-mashes using bottled spring water. (FTR, I am using my local water report as a starting line and going from there.)

One good thing is Notty never left me hanging at 1.020 when I was using extracts.

From my limited experience, it seems Notty is closer to what is calculated the higher temp I mash at.

I know I'm a bit late to the party but just a thought about your process...instead of holding the bag over the pot, rest it on a baking cooling rack that straddles the top of the pot. That will save your arm strength

Latest posts

Back