Yellow Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
Hi there. I don't make alot of beer so I still consider myself a beginner even though I have been making beer for 2 years. One recipe I make alot is:

5 gallon batch

6 lbs german extract
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale yeast
Willamette hopps (pellet) 3/4 jigger full after 5 min boil and 3/4 jigger full after 55 min boil for a total boil time of 1 hour.

and I bottle using 1/2 cup brewing sugar
It always is good...............WELL now the last recipe I changed the yeast to WYEAST 1272 American Ale but everything else is still the same. I always use a primary for 7 days and transfer to a secondary glass carboy. Today when I transfered the wort, it is yellow and very cloudy. In the past it has always been brown.
I tasted it and it is not spoiled. Why is it yellow? And is this normal? Will it clear later? Can a different yeast do this?

The yeast has probably not dropped out of the beer yet. When the yeast is in suspension, the color of the beer is always lighter. The color change can be quite dramatic.

It may clear later. If it doesn't, you can crash cool it to drop more yeast out. Since 1272 is a high flocculation yeast, though, I imagine much of it will drop out in time.

If you continue using this yeast in the future, I recommend letting it sit in the primary for at least 2 weeks, preferably more. If you still want to transfer to a secondary afterwards, it'll probably be much, much closer to how you've seen it using your previous yeast.

i recommend not racking your beer anywhere till you confirm you have hit your FG. but i agree with mojptele, just give it some time in the carboy. the yeast will eventually fall out and assuming there isn't some other problem, your beer will clear.

I believe that's fluid ounces, so it wouldn't be that amount of hops.

Today when I transfered the wort, it is yellow and very cloudy. In the past it has always been brown.
I tasted it and it is not spoiled. Why is it yellow? And is this normal? Will it clear later? Can a different yeast do this?

I just made an 8 gallon batch pale ale split between two different carboys with two different yeast strains. On day 5 of fermentation there is a distinct color difference (though they're still similar) - still a lot of yeast in solution in both and they both seemed to progress with fermentation at about the same rate. The WLP029 carboy is lighter, S-04 is darker. I suspect they'll both end up the same color in the final product.

Back