yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
I/m making a Porter...OG estimated at 1065. Would I be okay with just one WYEAST American 1056 liquid pack? The pack says it's rated for beers up to 1060...my recipie says to put 2.5 packs of liquid yeast...that seems way too much. The recipe also says you could also use 12 grams of re-hydrated dry yeast, but I couldn't get the right strain at my LHBS.
What should I do?
Thanks!

Personally, I would pitch it to a starter to give it a bit of a head start if using one pack. That being said, however, it will be fine as is. It just may take a little longer to get going well.

You could also use dry yeast. US-05 is the same strain as Wyeast 1056. Even if you decide to use the smack-packs, it may be reassuring to have some US-05 on hand. (I know I do:))

Personally, I would pitch it to a starter to give it a bit of a head start if using one pack. That being said, however, it will be fine as is. It just may take a little longer to get going well.

So, you think I'd probably be okay with one pack? I may just get another to be careful, but there's no way I'm buying three!

So, you think I'd probably be okay with one pack? I may just get another to be careful, but there's no way I'm buying three!

It'll work but it would work even better with more yeast. Get into making yeast starters. Your beer will thank you for it. :mug:

Back