Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatWell

Reaction score
Left my yeast out of the frig! It was in my cellar, about 64*. Is it dead? When I opened it it popped a bit, but not like the last one I used. It was British ale yeast wlp005. It has only been 3 hours since I brewed but it looks like everything has fallen to the bottom. Attached is a photo. Or you guys can tell me too RELAX! And wait a couple of days and see. I don't know if I should then repitch yeast.

image-3698783115.jpg

3 hours? It all looks normal to me, I see a lot of debris that has settled but krausen on the top, relax and let the yeast do it's work

You are supposed to let the yeast warm to pitching temps anyways so I doubt leaving it out at 64F was a problem.

If you did not make a starter it could take up to 48 hours for active fermentation to begin.

RELAX! And wait a couple of days and see.

And don't forget: Have a homebrew :)

How long was it sitting out? If it was months, your viability may be way down. If just a few days, shouldn't be a problem.

That said (queue the chorus here), if you only pitched the vial straight into the wort, even if it was continuously chilled you probably still under pitched. Search "starters" on this forum for more info :mug:

...It was in my cellar, about 64*. Is it dead? ...

At what temp are you fermenting your beer? Around 60 or 70? No, your yeast is not dead.

Your picture looks 100% normal. What you see at the bottom is break material/trub dropping out. RELAX.

Latest posts

Back