Yeast Wrangling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgtr42

Reaction score
Hey folks. Have a couple questions about yeast for my upcoming brew.
I think I know the answer to the first, but figured I should get some other opinions.
Brewing a clone of Russian River's Consecration, based from the MoreBeer kit - I brewed that as was a while back and I'm really happy with it - I'm doing it again getting the stuff myself, with a couple minor modifications.
So the first question is: I have my starter for the primary (Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey) going now, if I want to save some for another brew - it smells great even in the starter - am I better off taking some from the starter or waiting till primary is done and harvesting there?
Second: For the souring, I got a can of the Imperial Organic SourBatchKids ready-to-pitch. First, has anyone used this blend? The guy at the shop said it's really good. I do plan to pitch a couple sets of dregs as well, from a Fiddlehead sour I saved and probably from a Tilquin Geuze I have. If I want to save some of that, should I mix them together in a second (sanitized, of course) jar and take from there, or again wait till I bottle? Keeping in mind this might be a year from now. Also, is the cans too much bugs to pitch? I've always read they should be stressed a bit to get the best funkiness.

cant help you with the second part, but for the first, what I have been doing lately is using a pitching calculator to see how much I will need and then overbuilding my starters and storing the excess in sanitized mason jars.

Back