Yeast Washing Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at yeast washing. I really want to save my Wyeast 3711 since my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast.

I have read through "Yeast Washing" thread linked below and I am trying to figure out where to get a jar large enough to hold the liquid from the carboy. I was thinking a large pickle jar from Costco? Can I use tupperware? I was kind of hoping to do this this evening. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

"yeast was

Glass is best but I've used Tupperware in a pinch...gal milk jugs have worked as well.

I have Mason jars in assorted sizes which work very well and are relatively inexpensive. They can even be found in Trift Stores etc. for a song.

Two smaller containers (2qt) work well if you're sans a gal one...then just combine the clean yeast on top into one.

As you know...sanitize everything well. Good luck.

If it's settled for a while one of those giant gallon pickle jugs would be more than enough. As far as tupperware or other containers, I'd go glass if possible just to be able to see how well it's settled butyeast aren't picky, just make sure it's not scratched up since sanitizing it properly can be really difficult if it is.

My wife bough me one of those giant pickle jars from costco. I have a bunch of pickles to eat tonight.

Thanks for the advice!

I emptied a Costco pickle jar (vlasic?) and put it through the dishwasher. After filling it with water I noticed that it leaks a lot. Maybe I had a bad seal, but you may want to check that before using it with your yeast.

I have a few mason jars I was plannig on using for the final spot to store my yeast.

Good point though on checking for leaks.

I picket up some mason jars form my local hardware store (ACE). They had gallons, pint, half pint... all cheap and available in flats or individually.

A half gallon pickle jar from Walmart for 2.99 when washed and boiled was big enough to hold that first decanting off the trub from a 5 gallon batch. Then you can use the small inexpensive mason jars. I don't think you can clean the tubberware enough to hold yeast for long in the fridge. Most of the instructions tell you to boil the jars as if you were canning.

Back