Yeast Thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
I keep trying to understand yeast but never get a good grasp on it.
I will be brewing a ten gallon batch IPA with an OG of about 1.070 soon.
A few days ago I did a 2 litre starter using Wyeast 1056. I chilled it for a couple days. Today I decanted it and added another 1300ml of wort.
Here is my question.
Will this be appropriate for a ten gallon batch of 1.070 wort?
Thanks

your best bet is to use a calculator like this one.

for every ale up to 1.075 OG use pro brewer 0.75
Just type in the manufacturing date of the yeast and this will do the work for you.
If you're not sure about the date just pick a date about 3 months away.

So according to the calc you're good.

question #2 with photo.

This is my first yeast buildup. Both times the wort was 1.045. I have never seen krausen in my starter while on the stir plate. I started this yesterday afternoon and just looked at it. Looks like it blew out slightly. Temp now is 74.8F
Is this normal and is it still good. I figure it must be but wanted to check before pitching.
Thanks

yeast.jpg

I keep trying to understand yeast but never get a good grasp on it.

I will be brewing a ten gallon batch IPA with an OG of about 1.070 soon.

A few days ago I did a 2 litre starter using Wyeast 1056. I chilled it for a couple days. Today I decanted it and added another 1300ml of wort.

Here is my question.

Will this be appropriate for a ten gallon batch of 1.070 wort?

Thanks

Generally you will step up your starter volume if you are looking to build cell numbers.
Say your first step left you with 180 billion cells and you stepped to 1,300 milliliters of starter wort your inoculation rate is 138 million cells per milliliter. That is pretty saturated and you won't likely see the growth you need for ten gallons of 1070 wort.
If it were me I would do a 4 liter starter from here.
Not that you won't make beer with what you have but it will likely be underpitched.

Thanks, I will order a 5000ml flask

When I max out my flasks I move to 2 gallon buckets.
I have a few of them for starters and the occasional 1 gallon batch of beer. I drilled/cut out a hole in the lid for a large grommet so I can put a foam stopper in and a large stir bar it spins on my stir plate.
It is harder to look in to see if it's finished or not but I just give them a little extra time. Cold crash in the fridge and your good to go.
And cheap!
But hey a 5 liter flask works too.

After the first buildup this is what I have.

Three layers, the bottom one is about 50ml. Top one is beer. What about the other two? Are they both useable yeast?

yeast.jpg

After the first buildup this is what I have.

Three layers, the bottom one is about 50ml. Top one is beer. What about the other two? Are they both useable yeast?

Since you started from scratch here I would say that is all yeast.
1056 is a low/medium flocculating yeast so that top layer is likely less flocculant yeast.
It looks like you have roughly 200 ml of slurry so maybe in the 300 billion cell range?

So if I have 300 billion and need 830 billion, I will try this. I will use 2,600ml of 1.35 og wort and put it in my 5,000ml flask. I will add the 300 billion cells I have in the fridge.
Presto! I will have a big bunch of yeast and enough for my beer?

This makes my head hurt!

If I am off on this please let me know.
Thanks

So if I have 300 billion and need 830 billion, I will try this. I will use 2,600ml of 1.35 og wort and put it in my 5,000ml flask. I will add the 300 billion cells I have in the fridge.

Presto! I will have a big bunch of yeast and enough for my beer?

This makes my head hurt!

If I am off on this please let me know.

Thanks

Hmmm 830 Billion?

I think if you could get 4,000 milliliters in there you would be a lot better off.

I personally don't think you will see a lot of growth putting 300 billion cells into 2,600 ml wort. That is 115 million cells per milliliter and is pretty saturated.
Try to keep your inoculation rates lower than that like between 25-60 million cells per milliliter.
If you go to 4,000 ml your inoculation rate is 75 million per milliliter but I think you will get better growth there.
At this point vitality is not an issue you are looking to build cells to get closer to your pitch rate.

Great. I already started the other so I will chill it.
After that I will use the ratios you have recommended.
Thanks you

Latest posts

Back