Yeast that Isn't American Ale Yeast that I can Use at 70ºF and will ferment in 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacelover02

Reaction score
I don't have a temperature set-up for fermentation—yet. Just curious about anyone else's favorite kinds of yeast that can be use around ambient 70ºF temperatures and that won't take much more than 2 weeks to ferment? The kind I could get at White Labs, etc. Interested in Belgian yeast specifically...

I just pitched Imperial Triple Double Belgian Ale yeast on Monday, sitting at 72° and its nearly done. Temp range of 65-77.

I just pitched Imperial Triple Double Belgian Ale yeast on Monday, sitting at 72° and its nearly done. Temp range of 65-77.
That's great! With Belgian strains I tend to expect the fermentation period will be longer so glad to hear you're seeing fast yeast action.

I don't have a temperature set-up for fermentation—yet. Just curious about anyone else's favorite kinds of yeast that can be use around ambient 70ºF temperatures and that won't take much more than 2 weeks to ferment? The kind I could get at White Labs, etc. Interested in Belgian yeast specifically...
Obviously kveik comes to mind, Voss even available as dry yeast and lutra being the cleanest of the bunch.

Otherwise, some English yeasts like vardant IPA or pub a09 are doing fairly well at room temperature.

So does 3470, mangrove Jack California common and Imperial yeast harvest.

You got a bigger choice than you think ;).

If you can get down just a few more degrees as the weather cools, maybe to about 66 - you can use 34/70 for lagers. My club just did a project and a presentation with a local brewpub. A significant number of people could not pick the odd beer out of a triangle test when presented beer that was fermented at 50 vs 66.

You still have to lager or age the beer cold after fermentation. Just this 50 degree fermentation temp idea is going out the window with this yeast.

Loki -- a voss kveik -- ferments pretty clean. Mine cleared a 6 gallon 1.061 batch in 3 days, and I could taste the lingering grapefruit of the Galaxy hops I used.

Loki -- a voss kveik -- ferments pretty clean. Mine cleared a 6 gallon 1.061 batch in 3 days, and I could taste the lingering grapefruit of the Galaxy hops I used.
Voss Kveik has gotten my interest, but was your experience at the 70°F ambient temp with no heating control to warm up the fermenter?

Like the OP, I don't have a way to control that yet. So I've put off investigating how well Voss Kveik works for me since I can't maintain the 35-40°C (95-104°F) that the yeast makers say I should maintain it at for optimal results.

Voss Kveik has gotten my interest, but was your experience at the 70°F ambient temp with no heating control to warm up the fermenter?

Like the OP, I don't have a way to control that yet. So I've put off investigating how well Voss Kveik works for me since I can't maintain the 35-40°C (95-104°F) that the yeast makers say I should maintain it at for optimal results.
Pitch at 35c, wrap the fermenter in a sleeping bag, yeast well keep itself warm. Works like a charm. Did this multiple times

Interesting, thanks for the info. Now I'm wishing I hadn't taken Voss Kveik out of my cart last week when I ordered some other yeast.
It has a very distinctive taste and can also get pretty tart. This yeast is not for everybody. I actually don't like it that much anymore because of the tartness. I prefer "normal" yeasts.

Ardennes sometimes called gnome is an amazing yeast that very forgiving and will satisfy what you are looking for. It’s the La Chouffe yeast, I’ve used it for years and it’s a solid performer.

the white labs version is called Belgian Strong Ale.

Voss Kveik has gotten my interest, but was your experience at the 70°F ambient temp with no heating control to warm up the fermenter Like the OP, I don't have a way to control that yet.

hmmm...the Admins might make you change your user name if that is the case! ;)
  1. You can get a heat mat + temp controller off Amazon for under $30. This is the one I got and it has been working for me to hold beers in the 80F to 90F: Amazon.com : VIVOSUN 10"x20.75" Seedling Heat Mat and Digital Thermostat Combo Set MET Standard : Patio, Lawn & Garden
  2. I did one room temp ferment with Voss and it turned out rather clean with much less of the yeast character than fermented hot. It was my first time playing with fermenting under pressure in a keg. I think I rushed it a bit too much and got some Sulphur character that took a while to clean up.
I have never gotten anything even close to a tart character out of the 5 batches I have made with Voss (4 with Omega Voss, 1 with Lallemand Voss). When fermented around 85F I have gotten a distinct orange character that I find combines well with tropical or citrus hop characters.

I read lots of talk about making pseudo-lagers with Lutra, but I have been curious about using it to make more standard ales. I will likely grab a pack of the dried version soon and give it a try.

As far as the original question and the phrase "around ambient 70ºF temperatures"...there is a big difference between controlling the temperature of the beer at 70F during active fermentation and sitting the beer in a room that might get to 73F which allows the actively fermenting beer to reach near 80F. Before I had a fermentation chamber, I found that using a swamp cooler setup and adding ice blocks as needed helped a lot with keeping fermentation temps under control.

Saison is a good choice as well.

Some saison yeasts take about 3.5 weeks to ferment out, even at high temperatures. I'm talking about Wyeast 3711 / Belle Saison / M29. Some will say they ferment out in a week. Well, only if it hits an FG of 1.002 in that time, which, in the experience of myself and many, is not the case. I have not tried other saison yeasts, they may be less finicky, but doubtful.

Most Belgian yeasts I have tried have had a delayed finish, overcarbonating in the bottles if we try to rush them. I do wish I knew of one that was absolutely finished quickly and not a pain in the rear.

Yup. Room temperature in the house stays between 72 and 78 and the highest I recorded in the fermenter was about 80 degrees. I've heard the lower the temperature, the cleaner the fermentation.

Back