yeast temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider67

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed my first batch this sunday, a caribou slobber all grain kit,
my ground water wasnt enough to chill down to 70 could only get to 79,

i let it sit in the fridge with controler and got it down to 66 degrees by morning, put some 02 to it and pitched the yeast,

its sitting at 66 degress (probe taped to fermentor with insulation over it)
fermenting nicely,

so my question is over the next week should i slowly drop the temp to 64 or should i raise the temp slowly towards 69

not sure what adjusting the temps can do or if it does anything

my og was 1.055

Thanks
Tim

Which yeast did you use? I'm guessing it was a us-05 or wlp001 - American ale?

I usually try to go a little cooler (62-63F) for about 3 days, then raise it to 66F for 2-3 days, then pull it out and let it free raise to like 70-72F until I hit my FG.

Once you pitch and fermentation had started, I wouldn't drop the temp. In your case I'd let it sit at 66F for 5 days or so, then let it free raise to 70-72F.

Fermentation temperature is determined by yeast strain. So, if your yeast strain is WLP001, I'd ferment at 66 but if it's S04, I'd ferment at 62. (As an example)

I like to ferment at the low end of the yeast strain's optimum temperature. The best info on each yeast strain's temperature requirements is on the yeast manufacturer's website.

Hello Tim, The quick answer is, to keep your fermenting temps to the low side of the yeast strains limits, especially during the first week of fermentation.

Cheers :mug:

sorry forgot to add it was dry danstar windsor ale yeast ,

Thanks
Tim

I thought I was one of the only people who used and liked that strain! Keep it cool, as it gets very estery above about 67 degrees, and only slightly estery below that. If it was me, I'd be fermenting it at 62 for the first four-five days and then raise it up to 68 at that time.

It almost always stalls out at 1.020, though. Which is good, if you like a rich slightly sweet finish. But most people hate that about that strain.

Thanks guys,

Yopper should i slowly bring temp down or leave at 66 then raise to 68 after 4 or 5 days,

next time i will take your advise and start at 62 then raise from there

Thanks
Tim

I thought I was one of the only people who used and liked that strain! Keep it cool, as it gets very estery above about 67 degrees, and only slightly estery below that. If it was me, I'd be fermenting it at 62 for the first four-five days and then raise it up to 68 at that time.

It almost always stalls out at 1.020, though. Which is good, if you like a rich slightly sweet finish. But most people hate that about that strain.

I would love a brew with a rich slightly sweet finish, Im going to have to try this yeast soon, this fall/winter will have to be soon for me lol.

Yooper I really liked your lab pic you use to have, every time I saw it, it would remind me of a yellow lab I had 25 years ago.

Thanks guys,

Yopper should i slowly bring temp down or leave at 66 then raise to 68 after 4 or 5 days,

next time i will take your advise and start at 62 then raise from there

Thanks
Tim

I'd probably keep it at 66, and then only raise it at the very end to encourage it to finish up.

I would love a brew with a rich slightly sweet finish, Im going to have to try this yeast soon, this fall/winter will have to be soon for me lol.

Yooper I really liked your lab pic you use to have, every time I saw it, it would remind me of a yellow lab I had 25 years ago.

I like Windsor yeast- especially in my oatmeal stout. it gets pretty fruity, in an "Englishy" way which is nice in the mid 60s, but probably too much when fermented warmer. I don't use it very often, but I like it in some beers.

My lab is my buddy. He's 6 now, and healthy. He's my third lab, and they've all been perfect dogs.

Latest posts

Back