Yeast Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefehawk

Reaction score
My order from Austin Homebrew is suppose to arrive later today with a cold pack. Should I put the White Labs vial in the fridge, or just leave it on the counter over night since I'm brewing tomorrow? I don't want to do a starter FWIW.

Put it in the fridge. Take it out at the start of your brewday and crack the seal. Open it carefully several times while it warms up to allow built up pressure to escape.

IMO, when using liquid yeast you should always make a starter. Unless it is a very low gravity recipe or only one gallon.

Put it in the fridge. Take it out at the start of your brewday and crack the seal. Open it carefully several times while it warms up to allow built up pressure to escape.

IMO, when using liquid yeast you should always make a starter. Unless it is a very low gravity recipe or only one gallon.

And when you do open it, make sure you've sanitized the outside of the container and open it over your starter vessel.

Back