yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Is there any way to make a yeast starter without DME?

I have all my gear and ingredients and want to brew this weekend, but forgot some DME.
Recipe kit has LME 6.2 lbs of it.

Is there anything I can do or do I need to suck it up and drive to LHBS (Closest is 30min each way to get the DME or I can try a new one and it takes about an hour), which is not a problem I like browsing the HBS.

sorry to hijack, but i've seen these abbreviations in another thread as well and didn't understand.

What does DME and LME stand for?

well i made the drive to the LHBS and asked for DME for making a yeast starter and was handed a package of yeast starter.

it is a powder pouch. 2.0 oz and says sufficient for 5-10 gallons of beer. packaged by L.D.Carlson Kent Ohio.

What is this and how am I supposed to use it. The guy at the store was hard to talk too, I prob will not go back to this store again.

amishland said:
well i made the drive to the LHBS and asked for DME for making a yeast starter and was handed a package of yeast starter.

it is a powder pouch. 2.0 oz and says sufficient for 5-10 gallons of beer. packaged by L.D.Carlson Kent Ohio.

What is this and how am I supposed to use it. The guy at the store was hard to talk too, I prob will not go back to this store again.

Sounds to me you possibly got handed a packet of freeze dried yeast?

But without knowing for sure...your recipe kit probably already came with yeast. I would just do like yooper said and use the diluted LME to start the yeast the recipe came with. It'll feed the yeast just dandy.

My first guess from that description would be yeast nutrient. It can be useful, but it's not a substitute for DME in a starter.

You you didn't end up with any DME from your trip?

I'd use the LME like yoop said then do a mail order of like a pound of DME from an online store, just to keep around. It's what I do.

This is why I just tell the people at the store what I need, not why I need it. Too often store clerks don't have a clue as to what they're doing, and I'm not just talking about homebrew stores.

This is what I got. Please advise I would like to start the starter so I can brew first thing monday morning.

Also note I paid $4 for two packages of this stuff, figuring I would need one for each batch.

p1010469yt6.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice...

I just called the LHBS and they said nope it should just be DME labeled as yeast starter.

Does my packet in the above pick look like DME?
Some DME I have seen online looks white this was light brown.

it does look like DME, sounds like you ended up alright. Much cheaper to buy it by the pound, though.

Welp here is a picture of my starter sitting out on the counter till monday morning.

Does this look right? Do I need to do anything else besides wait?

p1010470re7.jpg

I have followed the directions found on the wiki.

Should I be shaking this every time i walk by it or just let it be?

And should I decant or pitch the entire jar?

Prepare Yeast

* Allow yeast to come to room temperature. If it is a smack pack, smack it first.

[edit] Boil

* Bring one pint of water to a boil in a two quart saucepan on the stove top.
* Reduce the heat, add one half cup of Dry Malt Extract (DME) to the water, and mix it thoroughly.
* Gently boil the wort for ten minutes.

[edit] Cool

* Remove the saucepan from the stove top, and cool it to room temperature, ~75ºF (~24ºC).
* Put the cool wort into an approximately half gallon (~2L) container.
* Cover and aerate thoroughly.

[edit] Pitch Yeast

* Pour the contents of the yeast vial or smack pack into the container.
* Shake to mix the yeast into the wort.
* Cover the container with a piece of foil or a loose-fitting cap.

[edit] Wait

* There will be very little sign of activity, but the starter should be ready in one to three days.
* You may step up the starter by adding additional wort over a period of days.

[edit] Pitch Yeast Starter

* After you have brewed your full batch, you may either:
o Shake the entire mixture again and pitch it into the wort

OR

* Chill the mixture a day before pitching
* Decant off the top layer of liquid before pitching just the yeast into the wort

Back