Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
Has anyone not used all of their stater and then poured more sanitized wort into the starter to get another one going? My last batch of beer was larger than expected and I didn't want to blow the airlock off so I saved a bit of the starter and put it into the fridge. I use a foam stopper and everything was sanitized by boiling prior to pitching. I figured I could boil more starter work in my other flask, chill it, pitch it in the remains of the previous starter, and get the process started again. Any advice or thoughts?

Yes, that works. Use a starter calculator like Yeastcalc to calculate the number of cells you will be propagating.

I'm generally trying to pitch as much as possible, so I've never tried that. Even when I'm low on head space, I'll just throw on a blowoff. But it should work. If you only saved a small amount, you might wanna step it up once to increase the volume of yeasties.

Latest posts

Back