Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randmc

Reaction score
I recently stated a batch of Bell's yeast that I harvested from a pack of Oberon. I grew the harvest up to a half gallon size and let it cement all the way out the cold crashed it. Two days ago I decanted the starter and pitched it in another 1/2 gallon stater to use for pitching Saturday. Then when the beer is done in primary I plan on using the cake for my barley wine.

Long story longer, the starter I made on Monday took off, and moved the aluminum foil out of the way. Do you think I've contaminated this stater? Is there a way I can check it before I put the gate of my beer in its hands

Cement in your beer isn't a good thing. ;) Gotta love auto-correct.

If the beer blew off the foil, it's probably not a big deal. I don't think the starter would be contaminated but there are no guarantees in life. I'd still use it if it were me.

Yeah, there have been too many times I have worked about my yeast. It will all be fine...

I am using this in my beer tomorrow. So excited to makes some IPA with bell's yeast

Back