yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PITT

Reaction score
I want to use a yeast starter for my next batch and have a couple of questions.

1. Can you add yeast to just the warm water (95 - 105 F) or do you need to throw in some DME, I have seen suggestions for both?

2. Is there any time where yeast starter is not a good idea (like high alcohol beers where there are lots of sugars to begin with)?

3. After pitching the yeast do you need to stir it around, or does that not matter?

I am planing on using Coopers dry yeast if that means anything.

Thank You

1. never add yeast to water that hot. 80 F max. when adding a small amount of water to dry yeast, you are simply rehydrating it. when you make a starter, you must boil dme, then cool it, then add the yeast.

2. the idea of a starter is to increase the cell count, not the sugar. therefore it is an especially good idea to make a starter for high gravity beers.

3. giving it a swirl won't hurt. It will add some aeration which will help the yeast reproduce.

you do not need to make a starter with dry yeast. it has plenty of yeast cells already. just rehydrate and pitch!

search "yeast starter" in the wiki and you'll find basic information on starters, which is all you should need.

ooooh....

For some reason I was thinking that rehydrating yeast was making a yeast starter. It all makes more sense now. The wiki did help. I am new to this forum and didn't think to check it out before.
Thanks for the info DeathBrewer!!!

Back